NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Project Assistant
About The Center for Science in the Public Interest:
The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is a non-profit health-advocacy group based in Washington, DC, that focuses on protecting the public from diet-related health problems. CSPI publishes Nutrition Action Healthletter and has led efforts that resulted in healthier diets, more-nutritious school foods, safer foods, and more honest food labeling. CSPI provides objective information to the public and represents citizens’ interests before legislative, regulatory, and judicial bodies. CSPI is supported largely by subscribers to Nutrition Action Healthletter, individual donors, and foundation grants.
The Project Assistant will gather and compile data related to articles about the nutrient content of food products and provide general administrative support. This position works with the Nutrition Action Healthletter (NAH) team and reports to a Senior Nutritionist.
- Provide general administrative support to the Senior Nutritionist and NAH team, including drafting and emailing correspondence, transcribing interviews, preparing invoices and expenses for payment, and sorting mail.
- Compile a range of information about a large number of foods, including nutrition facts, ingredients, and product label images. Conduct data entry of nutrient and ingredient information into spreadsheets for NAH articles. Maintain
- electronic documentation of sources for fact-checking.
- Call and email representatives from packaged food companies and restaurant chains to ask questions or verify information about their products.
- Purchase and photograph packaged foods and restaurant dishes mentioned in NAH articles.
- Shop for ingredients, prepare food and recipes, and conduct taste tests of recipes and products.
- Assist with fact-checking NAH articles, and with other departmental activities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university and at least one year of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent organizational and data collection skills, and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to speak effectively and professionally to individuals inside and outside of CSPI.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team.
- Familiarity with Excel and Word.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Interest in food and nutrition desired; commitment to CSPI’s mission.
Please send a cover letter indicating relevant experience and interest, and résumé, to email@example.com. Please include “PA-comfoods” in the email subject line.
CSPI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package along with a healthy working environment. CSPI is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
About the job
|Date||05 February 2019|