NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Operations Manager
About The Hmong American Farmers Association:
The Hmong American Farmers Association (HAFA) is a membership based, social justice minded nonprofit organization that works with Hmong American farmers in the Twin Cities and the surrounding metropolitan area. The mission of the organization is to advance the economic, social and cultural prosperity of these farmers and their families. Many Hmong farmers face numerous obstacles to farming, including lack of access to land, capital, training and alternative markets besides the farmers’ markets. Through cooperative farming, education and advocacy, HAFA works with Hmong farmers to create a path to wealth creation, not just income generation. HAFA was started by and is led by Hmong American farmers and uses an organizing approach to do its work.
HAFA is hiring a mid-level Operations Manager to start in February 2019. The ability to fluently speak Hmong and familiarity with Hmong culture and customs is mandatory. The Manager will report to the HAFA Food Hub Director. The position will be stationed at the Thompson Ave. office in West St. Paul in the winter, and at the HAFA Farm, a 155 acre incubator and research vegetable farm located in Vermillion Township in the summer. The candidate must be willing and able to perform physical labor and work outside in all weather conditions. An ability to interact positively with immigrant farmers, key organizational partners, and others from diverse backgrounds is essential. The position requires a minimum of 40 hours per week, but may require longer hours, nights and weekend shifts.
The ideal candidate should be highly motivated and outgoing with excellent interpersonal, critical thinking, and communication skills. He or she must be detail-oriented, mature, and willing to work hard and long hours if necessary to get the job done. HAFA operates in a fast paced manner and the ideal candidate must be able to solve problems quickly, work alongside other team members, under tight deadlines. Because the Alternative Markets Program is critical for farmers’ annual earnings, the ideal candidate must be committed to excellent, high quality work. He or she must be fair, honest and ethical. HAFA is especially interested in candidates who have worked with fresh produce or on farms.
- Assisting with and leading farmer trainings;
- Communicating clearly with farmers about HAFA’s produce quality standards;
- Assisting food hub staff in communicating with farmers about upcoming contracts;
- Overseeing washing and packing of produce sold to the food hub;
- Cleaning and maintaining the on-farm food hub facility in accordance with HAFA’s food safety plan;
- Maintaining traceability logs in accordance with HAFA’s food safety plan;
- Keeping records of food safety activities;
- Managing packing supply inventory and storage;
- Conducting due diligence tests on farmers and their produce;
- Maintaining an orderly and pleasant packing facility;
- Other tasks as necessary for the work of the HAFA food hub.
- A professional and resourceful style with the ability to work independently and as a team player;
- Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail as they manage multiple tasks/projects;
- Entrepreneurial energy, high level of initiative, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, and teamwork;
- Excellent communication and customer service skills;
- Passion for building the capacity and wealth of Hmong farmers and their family members.
If interested, please send a cover letter, your resume and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Operations Manager” in the Subject Line.
About the job
|Location||West St. Paul, Minnesota|
|Date||05 February 2019|