NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Baker
About Great Day Gardens:
Great Day Gardens is a market garden and wood-fired bakery in Forest, VA run by Michael Grantz and Arden Jones. We are committed to providing nutrient-dense food to the Lynchburg area while engaging our community in regenerative agriculture. 2019 will be our 5th year in business, and we plan to supply vegetables, sourdough bread, live plants, cut flowers, herbs, and pastries to 2 weekly farmers markets, a 30-member CSA, an on-site farm store, an online local food buying club and a handful of area groceries and restaurants. We also plan to do about 20 meal events (mostly pizza) both at our farm and off-site.
Our bread is naturally leavened, and almost all baked goods include a sourdough starter. Weekly products include hearth and pan loaves, croissant, scones, and bagels. Occasional items include pita, focaccia, brioche, pies, and pizza, and one goal for 2019 is to diversify our product selection. Everything is baked in our mobile wood-fired bread oven. We source grain from regional farms and mills and are deeply involved in the Common Grain Alliance, a group of bakeries, mills, and farms in the mid-Atlantic working to develop our local grain network.
We are looking for an experienced baker who shares our vision of building community resilience in Lynchburg through nutrient-dense food and regenerative agriculture. While you will exercise your creative skills in recipe development (especially in March and April), baking is a routine process, and your primary responsibility will be working both independently and with Michael in making bread and pastries for weekly farmers markets and CSA. For the right person, there is also the opportunity for a long-term business partnership.
Schedule: This position is full time and starts in early March. Every Tuesday-Friday with Saturday mornings once or twice a month. A typical bakery production day will be 7 AM to 5 PM, no crazy early baking hours except for Saturday farmers market pizza events, which will start as early as 5 AM. Up to 10 days vacation (unpaid) throughout the year, as well as some time off around the holidays and new year.
- Mixing, kneading, and shaping batches of bread dough. Feeding and maintaining the sourdough starter.
- Mixing, laminating, and shaping pastries.
- Develop new recipes using local grains and our garden’s produce.
- Collaborating on menus for pizza and dinner events.
- Firing the oven, splitting and hauling wood, raking coals out of the oven.
- Hand-washing dishes, sweeping and mopping the floor, organizing bakery space, maintaining a clean, healthy workspace.
- Communicating process issues, problems with tools and equipment, and ideas for improvement in an effective manner.
- At least one year of experience with sourdough baking, wood-fired pizza, or farm-to-table cooking.
- Ability to develop creative recipes using on-farm and local ingredients.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and work up to 10 hours on your feet, occasionally outdoors in extreme weather
- Ability to follow exact formulas and detailed instructions regarding bread process and ask relevant questions.
- Ability to work at a quick production pace while keeping quality high and solving problems that arise.
- Confidence to take over several aspects of the baking process after training.
- Commitment to working at least through the end of 2019.
$10/hour starting wage, will go up after training period (8 weeks) is complete, plus surplus bread and vegetables from the farm. Housing on the farm is a possibility with minimal rent, please ask for more details if you are interested.
This position is open until filled. To apply, please send an email to email@example.com that includes the following:
- Subject line with your name and the position you are seeking.
- A résumé with at least two professional references.
- A one-page letter explaining your goals, qualifications, and interest in the position.
About the job
|Date||04 February 2019|