NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Director of Development
About: Pie Ranch
The Director of Development will play a lead role in designing and implementing Pie Ranch’s
development strategy as the organization looks to expand, steward, and diversify its donor base
of individuals and foundations both private and public. This experienced development
professional will have the unique opportunity to strengthen Pie Ranch’s relationships with its
current supporters, as well as convey the critical work of our dedicated team of leaders and staff
to new potential funders and the greater community at large. The Director of Development will
use their excellent written and verbal communication skills to translate the important work done
by the organization to external stakeholders.
In particular, the individual in this role will be instrumental in delivering the message of and
securing financial support for PROPAGATE!, our current $15M capital growth campaign.
PROPAGATE! will transform Pie Ranch through the renovation of historic structures,
revitalization of our roadside farmstand to serve as a coastal hub and visitor center,
strengthening existing programs, and growing our nascent farmer incubator program that will
provide training, tools and farmland to new farmers, many from low-income communities.
The Director of Development is a member of the Leadership Team, and reports to Pie Ranch’s
- Develop and execute Pie Ranch’s annual and long-term fundraising plan to meet
organizational and programmatic goals;
- Manage the development & grants calendar, and direct strategic participation of key staff
and Board members in development activities;
- Take the lead on producing Pie Ranch’s annual fundraiser, the income from which
constitutes roughly 10% of annual philanthropic donations;
- Ensure systems and infrastructure readiness including the use, upgrade, and
maintenance of existing development databases;
- Hire, manage and provide performance reviews of development staff;
- Liaison with grantwriter, event planner, communications professional and
other contracted personnel to ensure on-time, accurate, and high-quality deliverables.
- And others listed here
- 3-5 years development experience, including experience with prospecting and stewarding major individual and institutional donors and with managing large gift campaigns, preferably in the social justice or agriculture sector;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with meticulous attention to detail;
- A dynamic personality and passion for Pie Ranch’s work;
- The ability to quickly understand the complex concepts of Pie Ranch’s work and to thoughtfully translate that work into presentations, proposals, appeals, and other fundraising collateral.
- Strong and well-tested project management skills (specifically for complex funding proposals);
- Effective organization, time, and interpersonal management skills with a nimbleness to shift between projects as needs evolve;
- Ability to manage a development calendar and meet established deadlines;
- Experience working with and learning from a diverse community of strong, intelligent, and passionate team members;
- Comfort working with farmers, partners, Board members and individuals with limited development experience, AND a range of partners from racially and economically diverse backgrounds
- Sensitivity to and interest in diversity, equity and inclusion;
- A desire to support other team members to ensure the best work outcome;
- Strong emotional intelligence skills and an understanding of their own work style and strengths, with the desire to grow from constructive feedback;
- Experience instituting development processes and best practices as well as managing support staff;
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google platforms (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Hangouts, etc.), as well as comfort learning new technology and systems; Experience working with development databases, preferably eTapestry;
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting annual salary $70-$80,000, DOE for exempt 40-hour/week position Health benefits (medical/dental/vision) - 90% contribution for employee and 50% for dependent(s) 24 days of PTO/year +9 paid holidays
please submit a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com.
About the job
|Date||10 July 2019|