NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Director of Operations
About: 4P Foods is a Benefit Corporation and food hub with offices in Washington, D.C., Warrenton, Virginia, and Charlottesville, VA. As a mission-driven company, our goal is one of duality: First, we aim to help small-scale, family-owned farms earn a living wage by giving them access to the growing demand for good, regional, ethically sourced, sustainably produced food. Second, we focus our business model on increasing access for all people to the nutrient-dense, healthy foods that our farmers are producing. 4P Foods strives every day to be part of the movement that is working hard to create a more equitable food system. 4P Foods believes in a future where nourishing, sustainable, and delicious food is not a privilege but a right. We help our customers to live their values by knowing that their food dollars are being spent to help support our farmers, our planet, and the communities we live in.
Position Summary: The Director of Operations is a “chief resource magnet,” translating strategy into action and results through developing and executing a strategic plan for the area and managing the performance and growth of 4P’s operations. The role is a demanding but rewarding position. It requires a myriad of skills that go both wide and deep, a fearless, confident and collaborative personality and a pragmatic attitude. As a member of management in a rapidly growing company, the Director of Operations will work closely with 4P’s Executive Team. She or he will develop and execute an operations plan for the area and managing the performance and growth of 4P Foods. This individual is responsible for the overall management and growth of 4P’s greater Washington, DC, Northern Virginia, Charlottesville, and Richmond markets. Along with maintaining a favorable P&L, the Director will manage department leaders and team leaders to drive continuous improvement of processes, manage relationships, and schedule and motivate his or her teams to focus on perfecting every detail of leading an operation. This position requires a problem-solver who can juggle improving the big picture of 4P Foods’ operations while simultaneously ensuring that the team is focused on making sure orders are on time and perfect, processes are efficient, inventory is managed appropriately, and 10,000 other small details are near-perfect, in a world of beautiful imperfection
- Manage and coordinate the existing DC, Warrenton, and Charlottesville teams to facilitate the development of high-level local brand.
- Coordinate with the greater DC and Charlottesville sales team to launch new 4P markets effectively and profitably, acquiring and retaining customers on a regular basis.
- Recruit, select, orient, train, coach and counsel staff.
- Work closely with other 4P managers to share and integrate locally developed processes that will help scale to our other cities.
- Build and maintain the company’s brand by collaborating with customers, government, community organizations, and employees.
- Collaborate in the selection of local vendors and inventory items to meet market-specific demand and coordinate with 4P's merchandising team to make available.
- Communicate product and process needs and work with Operations, Accounting, HR, IT, Marketing, and Design to deliver.
- Ensure the facility and operation meets and maintains regulatory compliance requirements, including a laser focus on food safety compliance.
- Manage and maintain the local fleet so that vehicles and equipment are in good working order and fully utilized.
- Communicate values, strategies, and objectives effectively; assign accountabilities; plan and assess job results and performance; develop and implement incentives; ensure an environment of open communication and sharing of opinions, and provide educational opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 or more years of operations management experience leading diverse and professional teams on multiple projects with tight time-lines.
- MBA preferred but not required.
- Pragmatic, data-driven decision-making skills allowing for quick execution.
- Supply-chain experience with knowledge of inventory systems and quality assurance programs.
- Ability to take a lateral, creative approach to getting things done.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Excel, and G-Suite, along with the ability to quickly learn new IT systems, processes, and analytical tools.
- Systems oriented.
- Ability to analyze existing systems, quickly test and implement solutions, and confidently articulate the changes to 4P's leadership team.
Compensation and Benefits:
Director-level position and full-time salary will be commensurate with experience. 4P also offers a benefits plan that includes vacation, insurance, and other benefits. 4P is a growing company that also offers opportunities for advancement to individuals showing potential, drive, and passion
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
About the job
|Date||17 July 2019|
About the company