Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN curates this all-access Jobs Board from more than a dozen other job sites as well as the COMFOODJOBS email list. We include positions from throughout the food chain that pay at least a living wage in their locale, and we emphasize opportunities that support local and regional food systems. Unpaid apprenticeships and internships are not included here.
Job Detail: Farm Project Manager
About: The Foodshed Alliance Sustainable Agriculture Enterprise (SAgE) is a program designed to make affordable long-term leases of preserved farmland available to sustainable farmers. The Foodshed Alliance is seeking a SAgE Project Manager who will oversee sites management, recruit farmers and land partners,coordinate farmer trainings, and organize public education programs.This is a grant-funded, 10-month, part-time position of approximately 15 hours/week. The candidate will be an independent contractor and will be issued an annual 1099. Contract may be extended passed June 30, 2020, provided funding is secured.
- Provide oversight and stewardship of farming activities to compliance with lease requirements and Farm Management Plans
- Facilitate collaboration between all farmers on each SAgE site
- Identify and coordinate services related to each site’s common areas
- Provide support to the farmers as per lease agreements and program guidelines
- Be an active member of the SAgE Farm Committee
- Identify and work with land trusts, municipalities, counties and other entities holding deed-restricted farmland that can be used in this program
- Facilitate partnerships with these organizations to transfer preserved farmland (ownership or lease) to Foodshed Alliance for lease to SAgE farmers
- Help publicize program via word of mouth, public presentations, social media, etc
- Meet with potential SAgE farmers; provide site tours
- Assist in the selection process
- Assist in the negotiation of lease agreements with farmers
- Assess the needs of the farmers in the program
- Help them access available resources (trainings, professionals, etc.) such as business, sales and marketing training.
- Train under Kendrya Close to participate in the New Jersey’s Farmland Advisors program.
- Brainstorm and organize onsite educational programming “to connect people to where their food comes from”
- Sufficient knowledge of farming to facilitate trust and connection with farmers and evaluate business plans, farm goals and objectives, farm practices, and so on.
- Ability to effectively and successfully manage multiple and simultaneous projects and clients, keeping all tasks current and managing all project and client components.
- Ability to listen and to communicate effectively in writing and in person; to build rapport and develop effective relationships with others; and to work well with a wide variety of people, including farmers.
- Proficiency with relevant technology and software, including word processing, Microsoft Excel, presentation software, Adobe Acrobat, and survey and data collection tools.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- A positive attitude, a commitment to customer service, and an appreciation that you are an ambassador for the organization in all that you do.
- Willingness to travel and to work occasionally on evenings and weekends. Ability to provide own transportation.
- Commitment to fostering the future of farming in New Jersey.
Please submit a resume and cover letter. Email your application to Kendrya@FoodshedAlliance.org with “SAgE Project Manager Application” in the subject line.
About the job
|Date||08 August 2019|
|Length of Employment||Temporary|