Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Editorial Producer
About: we're looking for a highly creative and spirited producer to join the New Food Economy’s award-winning nonprofit newsroom. You’re a bold thinker who’s willing to do whatever it takes to maximize each story’s potential and reach, using an array of graphic skills and production techniques to enrich the reader experience. Though we’re looking for someone with strong visual and production chops, the right candidate will be a born storyteller with well-honed journalistic instincts.
This is a huge opportunity for the right fit: You’ll help shape the visual identity and user experience of a quickly growing digital magazine, working with our creative agency to help launch a newly redesigned brand and website (fall 2019), while establishing workflow and best practices for the future. For the launch and beyond, we’re looking for a key strategic player who grows as we do.
Though not a reporting position per se, the producer will be an important figure on the editorial team, and we’ll rely on your graphic, writing, and editing skills all the time. We’re looking for someone with razor-sharp storytelling instincts who’s comfortable generating original graphics that help our stories shine—while helping to craft engaging narratives in 280 characters, photo captions, charts, infographics, and Instagram posts.
You’ll have a mind for strategy, and will be working closely with our engagement editor to build and schedule our newsletter, while using our style guide to produce assets for events, donor campaigns and series.
- Build stories from ideation to completion, including original graphics, photography, charts, and other visual elements.
- Develop workflow for delivering new content and updated web and social stories throughout the week.
- Gather information, stories, and pieces from team members throughout the day.
- Collaborate with editors to select and prioritize content.
- With engagement editor, build and strategize around newsletter content.
- Add stories and elements that will make published pieces and social content more attractive and engaging.
- Research local, national, and international affairs to stay updated on current events, especially those that intersect with our beat (which is nearly all of them!)
- Work collaboratively with editors and reporters to maximize content and enhance audience experience on all platforms.
- Assist with the rollout and promotion of The New Food Economy’s brand redesign and website relaunch (fall 2019).
- A strong interest in the rapidly growing nonprofit media arena.
- Advanced ability with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- 2+ years experience with HTML and WordPress, including the Gutenberg update.
- In-depth understanding of the production process and willingness to develop and implement workflows.
- Ability to proofread and edit copy.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- High level of writing and editorial ability, with ability to summarize stories quickly and accurately.
- Photo and/or video and audio editing ability.
- Strong knowledge of current events.
- Impeccable editorial judgment.
- Flexibility, willingness to pivot on a dime.
- High emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated experience in innovation and problem-solving.
- Experience working in a deadline-oriented environment.
- A sense of humor.
About the job
|Location||New York, New York|
|Date||16 August 2019|