Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Tissue Culture Lab Technician
For more than 43 years, Seed Savers Exchange, a non-profit, nationally-focused organization based in the Driftless Region on the outskirts of Decorah, Iowa (near where Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota converge on the Mississippi), has focused on conserving and promoting America's culturally diverse but endangered garden and food crop heritage for future generations. Seed Savers Exchange was a pioneer in the advocacy for preserving these heirloom varieties for generations to come, and is committed to keeping these varieties where they belong—in our gardens and on our tables.
Seed Savers Exchange is seeking a Tissue Culture Laboratory Technician to join our team. The Tissue Culture Lab Technician will utilize their technical skills and knowledge to maintain the potato and sweet potato tissue culture collections in vitro. The Tissue Culture Lab Technician will also assist with potato evaluation, potato histories, and field support. The ideal candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in biology, horticulture, or a related field and experience with performing plant tissue culture in a laboratory setting.
Applications accepted through September 16, 2019.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Independently perform tissue culture work in an organized and timely manner
- Perform all tissue culture lab activities including making media, performing transfers, inducting new material, cleaning test tubes, maintaining inventory records, entering data, organizing growth chambers, scouting for contamination, and ordering supplies
- Work to eradicate potato collection of viruses by using shoot-tip meristem culture and thermo/chemotherapy or other best practices
- Evaluate short term and long term tissue culture methods, strategies, and protocols for efficiency and soundness
- Assist field crew up to 16 hours a week during peak field season (May-Sept)
- Work with Evaluation team to evaluate potato varieties
- Work with Seed Historians to document potato histories
- Assist Director of Preservation with analyzing results from potato DNA analysis
Position Qualifications and Skills
- Experience with plant tissue culture
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills
- Exceptional time-management skills
- Flexibility and ability to balance workload
- Ability to sit for long periods of time during tissue culture procedure
- Ability to work in temperature extremes during field work
- Ability to lift at least 25 pounds
- Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, botany, or plant science, or equivalent years demonstrated work
- Experience performing all aspects of plant tissue culture
- Experience with virus eradication of plant material in tissue culture
- Proven experience working with limited supervision
- Paid time off
- Paid Holidays
- Employee merchandise discounts
- Health care, retirement and lifestyle benefits
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to email@example.com - include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Lynne Rilling | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.
About the job
|Date||06 September 2019|