Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Development Director
The Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York (NOFA-NY) is the oldest and largest organization in New York devoted to organic and sustainable farming and gardening. We are an organization of farmers, gardeners, and consumers creating a sustainable regional food system, which is ecologically sound and economically viable. Through demonstration and education, we promote land stewardship, organic food production, and local marketing. We bring consumer and farmer closer together to make high quality food available to all people. We are also the largest organic certifier in New York State. NOFA-NY is currently seeking a full time Community Engagement Director/Development Director, based anywhere in New York State, with a preference to working remotely in the Hudson Valley.
- Leverage a strong base of membership and major donor support to ensure a
robust donor pipeline
- Identify members with larger giving capacity through prospect research.
- Maintain a personal portfolio of donors and prospects who give between $100
and $1000 a year and a Director’s portfolio for those giving over $1000.
- Oversee fundraising events in collaboration with Events Coordinator,
Communications Coordinator and Executive Director.
- Assist with development, training, and tracking of Board related fundraising
- Record relevant correspondence with prospects and donors in Salesforce
database; maintain database, and train others to do so.
- Assist with relationship management and proposal development for corporate and
- Lead corporate support efforts for all major events (sponsorship, advertising
and exhibiting opportunities), while building strong relationships to
encourage additional business support beyond events.
- Draft, update, and review briefings, proposals, and reports.
- Develop a comprehensive Membership program:
- Develop a strategy and project plan that includes proposed annual budget
recommendations, monitoring, reporting, and key benchmarks and dates.
- Conduct appropriate outreach, solicitation, stewardship, and recognition of
members via direct mail and online giving that includes a calendar of proposed
activity and expected return on investment.
- Ensure consistent communications and membership materials (brochures,
promotional materials, appeals, online content, policy resolutions/membership
meeting outreach, acknowledgements).
-Identify creative ways to engage membership community regionally; assist with
development of fundraising and friend-raising events.
- Steward existing members through maintenance of membership benefits package,
member recognition at events, thank you phone calls, and excellent
organization wide customer service.
- Oversee Communications:
- Work closely with Communications Coordinator to ensure branding, messaging,
registration construction and outreach materials are consistent, clear and
- Oversee online Food Guide and Farm Guide maintenance including overlap of
Farmer’s Pledge program and Certification data and messaging.
- Supervise Communications Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, English, Journalism, or a related
communications field preferred, not required.
- 2-5 years of non-profit development experience.
- 2-5 years’ experience cultivating major donors.
- Familiarity and experience with database systems, especially Salesforce.
- Excellent written and verbal skills; strong organizational skills, attention
- Function with tight deadlines in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of organic and
- High energy and enthusiasm. Ability to work well in a team and with a wide
range of people, work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks at once, and
adapt to changing situations.
- Commitment to social and racial equity.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation: Starting salary is $45,000/year. Benefits include health,
dental, vision and life insurance. Retirement plan for employee contributions.
Generous vacation package.
Deadline for applications is October 15th, 2019. Please send cover letter and
resume to HR@nofany.org
About the job
|Location||Ithaca, New York|
|Date||05 September 2019|