Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Communications Manager
The Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS) is a partnership of North Carolina State University, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, and the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. CEFS develops and promotes just and equitable food and farming systems that conserve natural resources, strengthen communities, improve health outcomes, and provide economic opportunities in North Carolina and beyond.
CEFS is recruiting an experienced communications professional to develop, execute, and manage a comprehensive communications strategy with the goals of broadening awareness of CEFS’ programs and initiatives, communicating our impact, and increasing engagement among diverse audiences. CEFS is a regional and national leader in sustainable agriculture and community-based food systems and organizes nearly a dozen food system initiatives, a grassroots-level youth program, seven sustainable agriculture production research units, extension/outreach components (educational workshops, large public events) and academic programs including internships, apprenticeships, and a graduate student fellowship. CEFS is comprised of a large and complex network of more than 40 staff members and affiliated faculty across the three constituent institutions, and works in partnership with N.C. Cooperative Extension and dozens of government agencies, non-profit organizations, and businesses across North Carolina.
Overall Communications Strategy and Execution, taking into account stakeholder needs/interests and leveraging key partners.
- Plan and coordinate strategic messaging via website, social media, blog posts, and other avenues.
- Proactively identify emerging/critical issues and develop communication strategies to proactively insert CEFS faculty and staff into local, regional, and national conversations on those issues
- Work with staff and faculty to continuously develop engaging and timely content for multiple channels to convey CEFS’ work and the impact that it is having.
- Plan and develop monthly blog posts highlighting a broad spectrum of CEFS’ work.
- Create content for, and manage production of, a variety of printed marketing and promotional materials including brochures, videos, posters, reports, banners, etc.
- Create content for, and manage scheduling of, monthly newsletters and updates using Constant Contact.
- Write the annual fundraising appeal letter, annual report/s, and other materials as required.
- Ensure that all CEFS materials comply with CEFS’ branding requirements as well as those of its constituent partners.
- Write, edit and proofread materials as required to support administrative and program staff needs.
Management of CEFS’ 500+ page website
- Ensure that website content is current and accurate at all times. Working with staff and faculty, continuously update all pages.
- Post events, news items, press releases, employment opportunities, and other timely announcements.
- Ensure that the homepage is visually engaging and reflects strategic messaging priorities
- Continuously review and improve the website based on website analytics and other diagnostics.
Social Media Management
- Working with CEFS’ Communications Specialist, develop and execute a Social Media strategy for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and possibly additional platforms that leverages and complements existing social media activities of CEFS’ various programs and initiatives.
- Working with CEFS’ Communications Specialist, manage CEFS’ various social media accounts.
Press and Media Outreach
- Research, build and maintain media contact database
- Create and execute strategy for maximum media exposure; develop relationships necessary to maintain this exposure.
Support and Promotion of CEFS Public Events
- Working with the CEFS Administrative Team, plan promotional campaigns to publicize CEFS activities and events through a variety of media.
- Create promotional messaging for CEFS’ events using Constant Contact.
- Oversee and coordinate promotional messaging to a variety of listservs and post to Social Media accounts
- Coordinate CEFS’ presence at outreach and educational events.
- Publicize, promote, and assist at CEFS’ public events.
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Departmental Required Skills:
- Must be able to juggle multiple priorities and projects, meet deadlines, and supervise employees.
- Must have exceptional writing, editing, proofreading, and research skills.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and project/time management skills are critical.
- Proven success managing complex websites in a WordPress CMS.
- Strong command of MS Office suite of programs or similar product, and proficiency working in a Google virtual environment (Google docs, Google calendar, etc).
- Must demonstrate previous success managing a website and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn).
- Must be capable working independently on described task, while also working closely with a diverse group of CEFS staff, faculty, students, and other stakeholders.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Masters degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or related field; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Five years of demonstrated success in a management-level position in communications, marketing, or public relations.
- Strong background in sustainable agriculture and/or community based and local food systems.
- Knowledge of the local food system environment in North Carolina.
Apply at https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/122808. You will be prompted to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references, as well as a writing sample and examples of websites created/managed and social media accounts managed.
About the job
|Location||Raleigh, North Carolina|
|Date||27 September 2019|