Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Market Development Director
The Market Development Director is responsible for overseeing NOFA-VTs direct markets and farm to institution programs, and programs to increase food access for limited income Vermonters. The Market Development Director will report to the Executive Director, and will supervise the Community Food Access Coordinator.
- Understand and share passion for the strategic vision of the organization.
- Demonstrate sensitivity for food choices and behavior, hunger, poverty and
- Demonstrate ability to engage and build relationships among diverse
- Actively reinforce positive organizational culture.
- Grant writing and fundraising, budget development and oversight, program
evaluation and reporting for all program funding sources.
- Develop resources, provide technical assistance and organize professional
development opportunities for direct markets including workshops/intensives at
the Winter Conference, the Vermont Farmers Market Conference, and other
- Serve as the coordinator for the Vermont Farmers Market Association (VTFMA).
- Maintain and collect annual direct markets data including annual surveys and
- Coordinate statewide promotions of direct markets including ensuring up-to-
date directory listings for the NOFA-VT website
- In coordination with the Community Food Access Coordinator, provide technical
assistance and professional development opportunities for direct markets
around food access issues, including supporting those who wish to accept
- Provide program oversight for the Crop Cash Incentive Program, the Vermont
Farm Share Program, and the Senior Farm Share Program.
- In coordination with the Farm to School Program Director, provide resources
and professional development opportunities for farmers to sell to
- Provide institutions with resources and trainings to implement and market the
values of their local food procurement programs.
- Work with statewide partners to stay informed on and build relationships with
the larger Farm to Institution supply chain including food hubs, distributors,
and producer organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree required and a Master’s degree preferred or equivalent life
experience, (in sustainable agriculture, food systems, community development,
environmental science, public health, or a related field).
- 5+ years experience preferred in working with direct markets, farm to
institution, food access, and/or food systems/agriculture. Proven track record
of successfully working with varied constituents.
- Proven experience with grant writing and fundraising, budget development and
oversight, and program evaluation and reporting for grants from $1,000 to
$500,000 from corporate, foundation and federal sources.
- Knowledge of NOFA-VT’s work and the Vermont food system preferred.
- A personal interest in and passion for supporting Vermont’s farmers and food
- Successful organizing of engaging and interactive workshops, trainings and
- Strong organization skills and the ability to handle and prioritize multiple
tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes and a results-
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, supervision, management and administration
- Ability to work on teams with diverse groups of people
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite programs.
- Sound judgment, professionalism and a positive attitude.
- Resourcefulness, creativity and strong problem-solving skills.
- Must have access to a personal vehicle. Frequent in state travel is required
with occasional out of state trips.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for
three references to email@example.com with “Market Development Director
Application” in the subject line. Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
About the job
|Date||27 September 2019|