Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Extension Program Manager
The UF/IFAS Extension Family Nutrition Program (FNP) is a grant funded program by the USDA Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed). It helps limited-resource families in Florida access more nutritious food choices on a budget and adopt healthier eating and physical activity habits to reduce the risk of obesity and chronic disease. The FNP Extension Program Manager (EPM) will be responsible for day to day management of the FNP in Pasco County, including implementing the annual county FNP Plan and recruiting and managing a group of paraprofessional community nutrition educators (Extension Program Assistants [PAs]). This position will work closely with the county Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) Agent or County Extension Director (CED), who is responsible for the total FNP program within the county. Under the guidance and direction of the FCS Agent, this position may attend advisory meetings and promote FNP within the community.
Provide Training and Development Opportunities for PAs
Plan and deliver training on nutrition content, curricula, teaching techniques, and core competencies. Training will be delivered in a group setting one to two times per month. Assess individual training needs and provide as needed. Recommend training content for PA self-study training. Ensure that PAs meet minimum training requirements as defined in their position description. Become a certified ServSafe® Food Protection Manager and provide SafeStaff® certification to FNP staff in their county.
- Conduct Teaching Evaluations
Observe each PA conducting an educational session twice per year. Complete a written report, discuss with the PA, identify areas for improvement, create action plan for achieving improvement, and review prior action plans for progress. Submit reports to appropriate administration.
- Implement Public Health Approaches and Policy, Systems, and Environmental (PSE) Approaches
In accordance with the county FNP Plan, and under the direction of the FCS Agent, implement public health and PSE approaches. Examples of this work may include: participating on school wellness committees, participating in local obesity prevention coalitions, training cafeteria workers in Smarter Lunchroom Techniques, and implementing school and community garden programs.
- Program Promotion and Recruitment
Work closely with FCS Agent and FNP staff to identify appropriate teaching sites. Attend community advisory meetings as necessary. Work closely with FCS Agent to foster community partnerships.
- Reporting and Administration
Attend county Extension meetings, submit monthly reports, and submit success stories, as requested by CED. Attend all State-Office provided trainings and meetings. Review PA time cards. Approve leave, order supplies, work with state office to fill vacancies, complete and submit reports as required, and manage employee relations and performance issues. Complete annual nutrition education plan and budget.
This position is responsible for PAs in an assigned area which may be a large county or a several counties. Each PA must be observed twice per year. Additional trips may be necessary depending on advisory meetings, meetings with FCS Agents, and other needs within the county related to the program.
- Normal Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM. Due to the nature of this position, some early or late hours and travel will be required. In addition, some overnight travel will be required, including trips to main campus. Participation in the Extension community events on weekends as requested by FCS Agent or CED, and allowable by grant guidelines, may be required.
- Supervision: This position will be supervised by a Human Resources Generalist II headquartered at UF Main Campus (Gainesville). Local supervision will be provided by the county FCS Agent or CED. Written and verbal instructions will be provided, as well as ongoing training and development opportunities. This position is expected to function in an independent manner and self-direct the work of the position. This position exercises independence and initiative in completing assignments and receives general administrative direction. Work is reviewed for attainment of objectives and conformance with prescribed policies and procedures. This position may supervise and manage approximately five to six Extension Program Assistants and/or an Office Assistant.
Demonstrate a strong work ethic, dependability, honesty, reliability, and acute attention to detail. Superior organization and project management skills. The successful candidate must be able to integrate quickly and effectively into a busy team. Ability to contribute to a positive, productive team environment using leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills. Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving and decision-making skills. Excellent attendance history in prior positions; excellent oral and written communication skills, including a courteous and helpful manner in all communications; completeness, accuracy, and timeliness in all work. Ability to interact with clients and partners from diverse backgrounds. Ability to maintain working files and revisions of documents. Proficient with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Willingness and ability to travel independently. Ability to: manage a diverse workforce; work as part of a team; communicate effectively with internal personnel and external community partners; communicate and enforce program policies and procedures; strive for a positive working relationship with FCS Agents, FNP staff, State Office faculty and staff, and community partners. Degree in human nutrition or closely related field, management, business, or public administration preferred. RD/N, and/or LD/N helpful but not required. Experience with public health helpful. Strong personnel management experience desired.
How to apply:
Apply online here!
About the job
|Location||Land O' Lakes, FL|
|Date||04 October 2019|