Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Edible Schoolyard Gardener
The Gardener provides maintenance for the plants, garden beds, animals, pond and hardscapes of the half acre edible garden exhibit at the Greensboro Children’s Museum. The Edible Schoolyard garden functions as a showcase educational and event space and supplies ingredients for our cooking school. Responsibilities, schedule, and work distribution vary by season.
- Work closely with the Garden Educator to maintain the health of all plants in the garden including, but not limited to: fruit and nut trees, herbs, vegetables, aquatic plants, and annual and perennial flowers
- Communicate regularly with Garden Educator about the weekly and monthly plan of work
- Implement plant and soil health strategies for the garden to include sustainable gardening practices and integrated pest management
- Care for a small flock of laying hens
- Execute greenhouse work including plants grown to support an annual plant sale
- Plant and provide seasonal produce, including a winter harvest, for the kitchen according to the crop plan set out by the Garden Educator.
- Clean, organize and maintain garden tools and garden shed
- Maintain drip irrigation system and the water harvesting systems
- Store seeds and practice seed-saving
- Create and maintain all plant labels
- Maintain composting systems for kitchen and garden waste
- Lead individual and group volunteers in garden work
- Greet visitors and answer questions
- Maintain a working knowledge of the garden, kitchen, and upcoming programs to answer questions and provide information to visitors
- Aside from the aforementioned roles and responsibilities, all GCM staff members are asked to provide assistance when needed to support the GCM team in furthering its mission of promoting learning through play. This may include, but is not limited to: performing indoor tasks to support programming, providing back-up on other GCM programming, and relationship building with guests.
- Minimum: Associate's degree in horticulture, two years of garden work experience, or commensurate combination of education and work experience
- A positive attitude, flexible, nature and strong work ethic
- Working knowledge of edible garden plants (fruiting vines, fruit and nut trees, herbs, vegetables) and ornamental
- Experience operating greenhouse and irrigation systems including repair work preferred
- Experience working at a farm or public garden preferred
- 3 professional references
This is a paid, year-round position. Compensation and benefit details will be discussed during the final stage of the interview process.
Please submit your resume and letter of interest to Rachel Diaz at email@example.com. No phone calls please. Open until filled.
About the job
|Location||Greensboro, North Carolina|
|Date||12 December 2019|