Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Deputy Director
About Farm Alliance of Boston:
The Farm Alliance of Baltimore is a membership organization of urban farms, neighborhood growers, and friends. We use connection, resource sharing, and collective advocacy with respect to food, land and water to expand communities’ self-determination and power.
Implement the strategic plan of the Farm Alliance under the direction of the ED; Manage, track data, and coordinate the daily program operations of all Farm Alliance programs, including our weekly farmers market stand, our shared greenhouse, and monthly Double Dollars SNAP/EBT program; Run monthly membership meetings and committee meetings for programs; Provide direct assistance to members as needed, including helping to fill labor shortages, provide technical farming advice and referrals, locating funding support, crisis management, and consulting on market/supply chain issues; attend conferences and networking events; Maintain Farm Alliance social media accounts and keep constituents informed of our activities; Plan and execute events such as farmer trainings and workshops; Supervise interns and junior staff/contractors; Actively engage and energize Farm Alliance members and volunteers to support farms with labor and technical assistance at farms; Develop the Baltimore Farmer Pipeline and other new programs under the direction of the ED; Advocate for urban agriculture policy at the city and state level; Work with our coalition partners on policy issues; Engage with the media on behalf of the Farm Alliance.
- 3-5 years of relevant professional work experience required with progressively increasing responsibility, including having directly supervised staff
- Versed in Baltimore’s urban agriculture scene, its specific history and major trends in urban agriculture planning within Baltimore City, including the Sustainability Plan, the city’s zoning laws pertaining to urban agriculture, and the Green Network Plan
- Brings an anti-racist, culturally competent, non-judgmental approach to working with farmers and gardeners and community members
- Passionate about engaging the voices of farmers and gardeners to drive program strategy and to build the food and land justice movement
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Experienced with managing contracts and contractors, handling cash safely, and tracking financial transactions on a spreadsheet.
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs.
- Available for Saturday market, 5:30am-1pm
- Outstanding organization skills and commitment to improving systems
- Firmly dedicated to Farm Alliance commitments to equity, sustainable agriculture, collective power, solidarity, and education
- Able to independently travel to visit farms throughout Baltimore City on a regular basis, and to attend meetings at City Hall and in Annapolis as needed
- Possess an intellectual curiosity, understanding and enthusiasm for the work of Farm Alliance of Baltimore
- Capable of dealing with a variety of personalities in situations requiring diplomacy, poise and firmness
- Enjoys working behind the scenes, keeping details organized, and managing multiple complex projects at once
- Strong project management skills — able to map out a plan, proactively communicate with stakeholders, plan for mistakes, and debrief for lessons learned
- Ability to plan and run meetings productively and on-time
- Maintains complete calm under pressure and can remain so even when faced with difficult or crisis-level situations.
- Strong, capable relationship builder
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Fluent with office task management and communications software including MS Office applications, cloud-based software such as Google Drive/Docs/Sheets, Excel, and Smartsheets; WordPress; and CRM software such as MailChimp.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary for this position starts at $48,000 per year. Benefits include a 37.5 hour workweek, a generous paid time off package including 13 paid holidays, paid parental leave, office closed between Christmas and New Year’s, 13 paid sick days, and three and a half weeks of paid vacation after a year of service.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to mariya(at)farmalliancebaltimore.org.
Farm Alliance of Baltimore provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity),national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the job
|Date||16 December 2019|