Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Registered Dietitian
About Child Care Council of Nassau:
Our vision is for all families living and/or working in Nassau County to have access to quality child care and early learning that fosters successful growth and development for every child.
The Part-time Nutritionist/Registered Dietitian (RD) will implement the
Champion Initiative, a component of Eat Well Play Hard in Child Care Settings
(EWPHCCS), a SNAP-Ed-funded New York State Health Department program. The
Champion Initiative supports eligible group child care centers with creating
and enhancing environments that support healthy eating and physical activity
- Work with four to five child care centers per year to implement Champion
activities, which include: acting as technical consultant for child care center staff regarding best practices in physical activity and nutrition; providing assistance with goal setting and action plan development; and providing resources and support to centers as they work towards achieving their goals.
- Create a Champion workgroup of key stakeholders at the center to work on action plan steps and to accomplish best practices goals.
- Prepare for and provide nutrition education workshops for children, caregivers, and staff using the EWPHCCS curriculum
- Conduct follow up meetings and trainings with center staff to support sustained implementation of Champion goals.
- Follow evaluation protocol including collecting and submitting implementation data and evaluation documents
- Participate in monthly team meetings and provide feedback regarding program implementation.
- Compile and maintain supplies necessary for program implementation.
- Serve as EWPHCCS representative in coalitions and workgroups to learn about available resources and, promote program activities and strategies
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Travel is required throughout Nassau & Suffolk counties. Valid driver’s license and reliable car are required. The RD reports to the Program Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition, Public Health or related field. Master’s Degree (preferred)
- Candidate must already be a Registered Dietitian, certified with the Commission on Dietetic Registration or pass the Registered Dietitian Exam within the first six months of employment.
- Serv Safe or related food safety certification (preferred)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required
- Bilingual in Spanish (preferred)
- Experience providing nutrition education in group settings, preferably with young children, diverse communities and low-income audiences.
- Flexible, outgoing and able to work independently and productively without direct daily supervision
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Understanding of the underlying causes of health inequities and community food security issues on Long Island (preferred)
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the Microsoft Word, Excel and
To Apply contact Cynthia Lenz, Manager of Operations & Human Resources
About the job
|Location||Garden City, New York|
|Date||27 December 2019|