NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Note that farm apprenticeships are not included.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Program Manager
About The Sylvia Center:
The mission of The Sylvia Center (TSC) is to inspire young people and their families to eat well through hands-on learning experiences on the farm and in the kitchen. We are a nutrition education and youth development organization that works in high-need, high-potential communities to show young people how to establish healthy habits that lead to happier and more productive lives.
The Sylvia Center at Katchkie Farm is seeking a passionate, full-time farm- based Program Manager to join our upstate team. In collaboration with the Director of Programs and the Program Manager for School and Community Programs, the Program Manager for Farm-Based Programs will develop, prepare
for, implement, and act as the lead educator for our farm based programs. The farm-based Program Manager will also assist the School and Community Program Manager in building bridges between our on-farm and off-farm programs throughout the school year.
Beyond the education and program based responsibilities, the Program Manager will also have the opportunity to work collaboratively with the Director of Programs and the Katchkie Farm Manager to plan the design and maintenance of a half-acre Learning Garden. The Program Manager will be responsible for training, managing and supervising garden program employees, interns and volunteers, managing program outreach and developing strategic community partnerships, and providing general operational, development, and administrative support to the non-profit. The Program Manager will report to the Director of Programs and work closely with the Community and School Program Manager and Katchkie Farm Manager at our Kinderhook, NY office on Katchkie farm.
- Program Management. Serve as the program manager for all aspects of the farm based programs on Katchkie Farm. Work with Director of Programs and Katchkie
- Farm Manager to create the strategic direction and annual plans for on-farm programs.
- Serve as Lead Instructor for farm-based programs on Katchkie Farm.
- Assist and sometimes lead community-based programs at partner sites.
- Through research and practice, understand and implement best practices in garden education relating to healthy eating practices for children.
- Participate in relevant conferences and encourage dialogue among colleagues.
- Program Implementation. Teach educational garden programs that focus on the connection between fresh ingredients and cooking, with an emphasis on food literacy and nutrition. Participants range in age from preschool through adult, and garden learning groups will range in size from 5-30 individuals.
- Procure, prepare, and organize all materials and equipment, for on-farm programs.
- Curriculum Development. Work with program staff (Director of Programs/Garden
- Assistant/Interns) to further develop and adapt our curricula for all farm- based programs. Communicate with the Director of Programs to review and improve program lesson plans.
- Program Relationship Management & Outreach. Manage relationship with Katchkie Farm. Organize, implement, and track outreach for all on-farm programs. Build strong relationships with schools and communities in order to follow through on annual plans.
- Program Evaluation. Assist Director of Programs in implementing farm program evaluations. Manage records of evaluations in database, and gather materials for stakeholder reporting.
- Program Administration. Coordinate paperwork for on-farm programs. Prepare program materials, including printed curricula, evaluations, surveys, and recipes. Organize and manage paperwork, recipes, curricula, and photographs.
- Grant Support. Collaborate with Program Director and Executive Director on farm-based program grant proposals and reports, and support our partners in writing small grants that fund our work together.
- Donor Relationship Management. Represent The Sylvia Center at community events and fundraising events that benefit TSC.
- Event Support. Collaborate with development team and Executive Director to create impactful programmatic content for events. Identify and recruit program participants to attend events. Assist in coordinating logistics for farm-based events.
- Finances. Facilitate finances and record keeping of farm-based programs in collaboration with Executive Director and School and Community Program Manager, including: bank account, staff reimbursements, time sheets for part-time staff, program payments, and petty cash account.
- Site Management. Regular meetings with Katchkie Farm Manager. Assist in
maintaining cleanliness and organization of office, prep kitchen, and shared
spaces including the Learning Garden, Cooking Pavillion, and chicken coop.
- Public Communications. Contribute to the Sylvia Center blog, Katchkie newsletter, and other communications as determined with the Digital Content Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s or minimum 3 years relevant work experience in education, agriculture, environmental studies, public health, or other related field.
- Two full seasons of experience working on a small farm or an intensively managed vegetable garden.
- Experience managing educational programs.
- Experience working with youth; outdoor classroom experience preferred.
- Experience working in community health education.
- Professional culinary experience or avid home chef.
- A strong and cooperative work ethic and communication skills, a good sense of humor, and the desire to work as part of a close-knit team.
- Self motivated.
- Food Handler’s Certification or willingness to obtain one within first 3 months of hire.
- Current CPR and First-Aid Certification and valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work occasional long hours, lift up to 50 lbs, and perform physical, outdoor jobs in all weather.
Please send cover letter and resume detailing your unique qualifications for this role to email@example.com with Program Manager, Farm-based Programs in the title.
About the job
|Location||Kinderhook, New York|
|Date||28 February 2019|