Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Executive Director
Green Village Initiative (GVI), a nonprofit urban agriculture and food justice organization, seeks an Executive Director to guide the organization’s vision. Our mission is to grow food, knowledge, leadership and community through urban gardening and farming, to create a more just food system in Bridgeport. We believe that food grown by and for the community will lead to a robust, community-driven food system and catalyze local economic development. We recognize the importance of addressing the systemic inequities that cause poverty and hunger in our city and we are working towards a Bridgeport in which all people can participate in their food system, from seed to plate, in ways that are inclusive and non-exploitive of our community and our environment. We support Bridgeport’s school gardens, manage 11 community gardens, operate Bridgeport’s only outdoor urban farm, implement urban training programs, and engage youth in leadership development. Our programs engage thousands of community members in growing and consuming Bridgeport-grown food; all produce is grown without the use of harmful chemicals for the local community. With the Bridgeport Office of Planning and Economic Development and Food Policy Council, we recently created a 5-year Urban Agriculture Master Plan for the City of Bridgeport, conveying the community’s vision for urban agriculture.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lead the overall strategic direction and operation of GVI.
- Ensure that our core values, including antiracism and youth development, permeate all programs.
- Oversee all accounting, grant and contract management, insurance coverage, office administration.
- Supervise, train, and lead a growing team: 4 FT employees, 20 PT employees, 2 FoodCorps Service Members, and 3 contracted vendors.
- Maintain official records and documents; ensure timely compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Further develop and implement policies in HR, administration, finances and team development.
- Lead/Facilitate professional development of team members, team building and skill-building.
- Establish and implement an annual financial plan to sustain GVI’s $600,000 budget.
- Seek out new revenue initiatives.
- Secure and manage funding, including foundations, government agencies, and individuals.
Programs and community/ Stakeholder Engagement
- Provide leadership and oversight in developing program goals, strategies and budgets
- Establish and maintain sound relationships with strategic partners, stakeholders and supporters.
- Ensure continual program measurement and evaluation, and program improvements to satisfy stakeholders and the deliverables required by awarded grants and contracts. Maintain a working knowledge of trends in the fields of food justice and urban agriculture.
- Work to achieve more long-term sustainability for urban agriculture in Bridgeport through initiatives such as implementation of the Urban Agriculture Master Plan and securing long-term leasing for Reservoir Community Farm and community gardens.
- Manage consultant contracts and deliverables, including: grants manager, subcontractors, and partners.
Marketing and Communications
- Oversee public relations efforts and press releases.
- Direct the organization’s comprehensive marketing and communications efforts including website and social media presence, to create a strong brand, and to deepen connections with the Bridgeport community.
- Be a public face for GVI that includes community members benefitting from our programs, funders, the general public, supporters, elected officials, and partner organizations.
Board Management, with Board Chair:
- Ensure that all board members share active, personal commitments to GVI’s values.
- Engage and energize GVI board members, volunteers, and supporters.
- Support the Chair in Board development (including in antiracism, food justice, and organizational governance skills) and Board involvement in programs, fundraising, and strategic initiatives.
- A demonstrated personal and active commitment to antiracism and a sense of responsibility to the Bridgeport community.
- Professional experience in a leadership capacity.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high energy environment.
- Strong problem solving, conflict management skills.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously lead and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to seek out and develop innovative partnerships.
- Experience with fundraising and grants management.
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple programs and teams towards strategic goals.
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme weather and conduct garden and farm work (including heavy lifting).
- Eligibility to work in the U.S.; valid driver’s license; reliable vehicle for transportation during the workday. Preferred
- A passion for community development, urban agriculture, and food justice.
- A demonstrated personal and active commitment to the Bridgeport community.
- Experience with nonprofit management, and individual donor cultivation.
Hours and Compensation:
This is a full-time position starting immediately, reporting to the Board of Directors. Hours may fluctuate and will include some evenings and weekends. Compensation is $75,000 - $90,000 annually depending on experience.
Generous vacation policy; Health insurance plan is available.
Please send a resume, cover letter and list of professional references to email@example.com. For additional information about GVI, please see our website: www.gogvi.org. Call or email us with any questions: 203-216-4107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the job
|Date||27 January 2020|