Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Food Hub General Manager
Local agricultural producers working with Northern Plains Resource Council have laid the groundwork needed to make local foods a more viable option in south-central Montana. A business plan was commissioned and completed in late 2017, fundraising began in earnest in early 2018, and the Yellowstone Valley Food Hub launched in 2019. This Growers Cooperative markets both meat and vegetable products through an online shopping venue, then aggregates and distributes producers’ products to individuals, restaurants, and eventually to larger institutions in the greater Yellowstone County of Montana.
The Yellowstone Valley Food Hub links Montana farmers and ranchers to consumers and institutions in south-central Montana, providing healthy, sustainably produced foods. This creates new markets for independent, family-scale food producers while making wholesome foods more accessible to area residents.
- Work closely with our core set of producers, visiting their operations and learning their products.
- Overall financial responsibility, including administrative duties like filing necessary forms, reports, taxes, etc.
- Know and uphold food laws, food safety standards
- The GM must thoroughly learn the uniqueness of our region and its food supply, demand, and potential.
- Organize/hold producer, board, and general membership meetings (in conjunction with Board Chair)
- Develop new buyer accounts (restaurants, etc).
- Receive and organize food drop-off
- Coordinate deliveries, and do a lot of the delivery until the Food Hub has grown enough to hire that out. Food products are coming from up to 90 miles away. Distribution area currently focused on Billings/Red Lodge/Absarokee.
- Oversee marketing and communications.
- Manage a software platform for sales.
- Maintain positive relationships with producers, communities, and markets.
- Recruit and retain more farmers and ranchers to sell through the Food Hub.
- Organize community events that would help get the word out and expand the customer base.
- Fundraise to secure the financial viability of the Food Hub in its early stages, including grant writing.
- Eventually, hire, train, and supervise other Food Hub staff.
- The General Manager (GM) must have a passion for food and agriculture, and a belief in the importance of a local food system.
- The GM must be committed to the cooperative business model
- The GM would ideally have experience working with a Food Hub, or other food purchasing or distribution background, or otherwise have a professional background in food or agriculture.
- Sales experience, especially to restaurants, etc.
- Financial skills, business management experience or education are desired.
- Individual must be personable, a “people person.”
- Marketing skills and knowledge both print and digital.
- Attention to detail and good time management skills is a must.
- Good driving record, reliable car, and driver’s license.
- Food safety training and certification a plus.
- Experience with Local Food Marketplace a plus.
Compensation and How to Apply:
Salary $40,000 - $49,000 depending on experience.
To apply, please email to Maggie Gordon – email@example.com
• a cover letter (telling us why you want the position),
• resume, and
• three professional references
About the job
|Location||Yellowstone Valley, Montana|
|Date||05 February 2020|