Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Development Associate
Native Seeds/SEARCH (NS/S) is a nonprofit seed conservation organization based in Tucson, Arizona. Our mission is to conserve and promote the arid-adapted crop diversity of the Southwest in support of sustainable farming and food security.
Our operations and programs are supported through a combination of memberships and donations, seed and food sales, and foundation grants. NS/S has built a loyal membership base of ~3,500 households and must expand the number of members and donors in order to further advance its mission. The Development Associate is a full-time position, designed as an outstanding opportunity for a professional in the early stages of a nonprofit career. The role is designed to accomplish growth as well as help build stronger relationships with our existing members in Arizona and throughout the US.
NS/S is looking for an organized and passionate Development Associate who will thrive in a fast-paced environment and who is well-suited to working collaboratively with a small staff. The Development Associate is responsible for all administrative aspects of fundraising and facilitates membership fulfillment and renewals, donor relations, direct mail appeals, sponsorships and special events. Requires some ability to travel locally and occasional work on weekends and evenings.
Our full-time staff enjoy excellent health, dental, and vision benefits, and accrue 20 days of PTO each year. This is a salaried position that reports directly to the Executive Director. Come join our team!
- Provide substantial support to Executive Director in major donor and foundation cultivation, solicitation and acknowledgement.
- Support the Executive Director in her work with the Board Development Committee
- Maintain the development calendar and meet all development deadlines.
- Assist in maintaining relationships with members and donors by sending programmatic updates, holiday and birthday wishes, etc.
- Process all gifts (including in-kind goods and services) and prepare thank-you letters and other donor correspondence.
- Continually update and maintain database records.
- Maintain foundation, corporation and individual donor hard files.
- Plan and implement membership recruitment and retention initiatives.
- Develop targeted mailing lists; coordinate production and mailing of membership and appeal letters.
- Plan, execute and evaluate 4-6 philanthropy special events each year.
- Maintain guest lists, track responses, prepare materials and other duties for special events.
- Assemble donor packets/materials for events and meetings.
- Run monthly fundraising reports and other fund development reports as needed.
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation and individual donors.
- Assist in preparing funding proposals as necessary.Track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising.
- Contribute to newsletter articles and other promotional pieces as necessary.
- Assist with volunteers and interns as appropriate
- Drive locally on specific assignments; occasional travel outside of greater Tucson, AZ
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Superior organizational skills including calendaring, note taking, database management, and project follow through.
Excellent communication skills. Able to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Ability to work independently, demonstrate initiative, and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to understand the mission, goals, and values of NS/S, and make decisions that reflect them within the scope of this position.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish a plus.
Two years’ experience in a fundraising or administrative position at a nonprofit organization.
Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and CRM database management.
- Experience working with and communicating with a wide range of people, including community leaders.
- A valid Arizona driver’s license with a good driving record and valid insurance.
Hours and Salary:
This salaried position is regarded as full time (40 hours per week). Work is usually performed between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday at NS/S headquarters in Tucson, AZ. Additional hours may be required to perform the job and may include some evenings and weekends. Employee work might take them outdoors in both warm and cool weather.
Accepting applications through March 1. Salary range $35,000-$40,000.
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, along with three professional references to email@example.com. Native Seeds/SEARCH is an EEOC employer.
About the job
|Date||10 February 2020|