NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Note that farm apprenticeships are not included.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: School Garden Internship
About Green Village Initiative:
Green Village Initiative (GVI) is an urban agriculture organization in Bridgeport. Our mission is to grow food, knowledge, leadership and community through urban gardening and farming, to create a more just food system in Bridgeport. We recognize the importance of addressing the systemic inequities that cause poverty and hunger in our city and we are working towards a Bridgeport in which all people can access healthy, culturally relevant, locally grown foods at school, at work, and at home. We support Bridgeport’s school gardens, manage 12 community gardens and an urban farm and engage youth in leadership programming. Our programs engage thousands of community members in growing and consuming Bridgeport-grown food; all produce is grown without the use of harmful chemicals for the local community.
Hundreds of students garden at Bridgeport public schools. Garden champions at schools, usually teachers, engage students in seeding, maintaining, and harvesting their garden with GVI’s support and resources. Our collaboration with Sacred Heart University has resulted in school garden lesson plans that tie directly into the Bridgeport curriculum; coupled with Professional Development opportunities for teachers, this increases teacher confidence and ability to use school gardens as an academic tool.
Our internships are field-based, which requires the ability to work outside, withstand summer weather for long periods of time, conduct garden or farm work (including heavy lifting), and be part of a passionate team dedicated to helping each other achieve goals and helping our community of urban growers with their garden plots.
This position will develop and maintain relationships with school gardeners in our network, respond to gardeners’ needs through acquiring and disbursing resources as needed and appropriate, and collect data. Specifically, this internship is responsible for:
- Creating and updating gardening resources for easy distribution to school gardeners in Bridgeport. This includes creating an easy-to-use summer crop plan and fall crop plan.
- Delivering support and resources to garden sites and School Garden Champions as available and as appropriate. This includes organizing GVI’s digital school gardener resources.
- Ensuring that contact information for gardeners using school gardens is has been collected.
- Regularly visiting all school garden sites throughout the season to identify those in most of need of assistance in garden maintenance.
- Tracking the status of gardens’ throughout the season
- Helping to schedule and work at cleanup days and garden build, and helping to coordinate volunteers.
- Distributing fliers at schools and in neighborhoods to inform school gardeners of our educational gardening workshops at the farm.
- Assisting with field trips, volunteer groups and events at the farm whenever possible.
- Tabling at community events and conducting community outreach about GVI’s programs.
- Maintaining ongoing communication with School Garden Champions throughout the season.
- Other activities as needed.
- A passion for community gardening, agriculture, or food justice
- Effective verbal and written communication skills; conversational Spanish is a plus.
- Proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- Excitement to work in a fast-paced organization and a desire to learn more about gardening, farming and non-profit operations
- Ability to work with little oversight and to seek direction when needed
- Ability to perform physical at garden work (e.g. bending, kneeling) including in extreme heat
- A strong work ethic and punctuality
- Access to reliable transportation to and from garden sites
- A commitment to GVI’s mission, and a sense of responsibility to the Bridgeport community
Send a resume or detailed list of skills and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 203-612-4107 and ask to speak with Cristina about your interest.
About the job
|Date||28 February 2019|