NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Food Hub Sales Manager
About Food Connects:
Food Connects is a dynamic and growing nonprofit organization based in Brattleboro, VT that delivers locally produced food as well as educational and consulting services aimed at transforming local food systems. Founded in 2013, Food Connects (FC) is a catalyst for food systems change by connecting the next generation with their food, local farmers with new markets, and school chefs with local food.
The Food Connects Food Hub delivers source-identified local food from over 60 farms and value-added producers to over 100 wholesale customers located in Southern Vermont, Western New Hampshire, and Western Massachusetts. Currently, we offer two weekly deliveries and conduct sales through our online platform. The Food Hub is experiencing rapid growth, 25% over the past year, and will be expanding our operations, infrastructure, and delivery schedule over the coming year.
Food Connects is looking for a passionate, experienced Sales Manager to guide food hub sales through an exciting and dynamic growth period and support Food Connects' vision to provide innovative and transformative solutions to New England's local food system.
The Food Hub Sales Manager (FHSM) is responsible for growing Food Connects Food Hub sales. The FHSM spends a large portion of each week on the road visiting existing customers to build relationships and promote purchasing of local products, as well as developing new customer leads to drive FC’s expansion goals.
The FHSM provides exceptional customer service to all Food Hub customers. This requires excellent communication skills, both written and verbal: in person, over the phone, email, and text. Responsibilities include collection and compilation of twice-weekly orders, following up with customers regarding product satisfaction, and pursuing upsell opportunities to the benefit of both customer and producer. The FHSM must develop and maintain knowledge of all Food Hub products and be able to assess and tailor products to specific customers and customer types. This includes understanding the differing needs and purchasing requirements for schools, institutions, hospitals, retail outlets, restaurants, and more.
The FHSM works with the Food Hub team to continuously evolve and develop sales strategies and plans throughout the changing seasons. This includes promotions on seasonal crops, integrating the Harvest of the Month program into sales strategy, prioritizing product sales flow based on current inventory, and promoting new products and producers. Sales plans are developed in coordination with the Food Hub General Manager (FHGM), Operations Manager (FHOM), and Communications Manager (FCCM). Sales planning meetings will also include setting sales goals and reporting and reviewing ongoing and prior goals and promotions.
The FHSM maintains and updates detailed notes on customer updates with sales progress, personnel changes, and feedback. To manage this, the FHSM must have consistently exceptional organizational skills, record-keeping skills, and attention to detail. The FHSM will ideally have experience in using customer relationship management (CRM) software.
The FHSM is based at the Food Connects office in Brattleboro, VT but will involve regular travel for sales calls, mostly within a 50-mile radius. Additional travel may be required as Food Connects grows its customer base.
- Ensures the accurate and timely compilation of Food Hub orders on a twice-weekly basis for submission to our producers.
- Provides order reports to the FHOM and ensures clarity in ongoing supply needs based on projected sales.
- Promotes growth of local food deliveries by enhancing existing relationships with customers and developing new relationships with potential customers.
- Coordinates with producers and customers on promotions, and in-store demonstrations.
- Maintains positive relationships and communications between producers and customers.
- Accurately tracks and communicates mileage, hours, and other relevant travel information.
- Maintains database of customer notes and developments in a clear, concise and consistent fashion.
- Coordinates with FHOM regarding inventory management and product samples.
- Previous sales experience, preferably outside sales and/or local food sales.
- Strong knowledge of veggies, fruits, dairy, meats, value-added products and other locally-produced foods.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal: in person, over the phone, email, text.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills and natural proclivity for keeping detailed records.
- Interest in and ability to adapt to changes in evolving business, be creative, and jump in where needed to optimize operations.
- Cheerful, professional presence.
- General technical skills with common workplace tools such as: G-suite, Excel, Slack, Asana, and customer relationship management software (CRM).
- Ability to learn and incorporate new tools and technology into work plan.
- Reliable private vehicle. Mileage tracked and reimbursed at the federal rate. Company vehicles are often, but not always, available.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Reliable cell phone. Monthly cell phone reimbursement is rolled into salary.
- At least 3 professional references.
- Existing relationships with food producers in SE VT, SW NH, and Western Mass.
- General knowledge of the sustainable food and agriculture sector.
- General knowledge of purchasing regulations for schools, institutions, and restaurants.
- Experience in small business management and/or business development, especially in the food sector.
- Familiarity with the geographical area of our delivery services (Windham County, VT; Windsor County, VT; Upper Valley, VT + NH; Cheshire County, NH; Western Massachusetts).
- Experience with E-commerce and enterprise resource planning (ERP) software for food sales and distribution.
- Experience driving diesel box/reefer trucks.
- Experience operating a pallet jack and forklift.
- Knowledge of food safety regulations.
- ServSafe Certified.
- Compensation: Starting at $36,000 per year, negotiable depending on experience
- Incentives will be considered during annual review within 12 months of start, or depending on experience.
- Please send cover letter, resume, and references in one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: <Your Last Name>, Application: Food Hub Sales Manager
- We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. This position will remain open until filled.
About the job
|Date||08 March 2019|