NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Food Hub Operations Coordinator
About Food Connects
Food Connects is a dynamic and growing nonprofit organization based in Brattleboro, VT that delivers locally produced food as well as educational and consulting services aimed at transforming local food systems. Founded in 2013, Food Connects is a catalyst for food systems change by connecting the next generation with their food, local farmers with new markets, and school chefs with local food.
The Food Connects Food Hub delivers source-identified local food from over 60 farms and value-added producers to over 100 wholesale customers located in Southern Vermont, Western New Hampshire, and Western Massachusetts. Currently, we offer two weekly deliveries and conduct sales through our online platform. The Food Hub is experiencing rapid growth, 25% over the past year, and will be expanding our operations, infrastructure, and delivery schedule over the coming year.
To support this exciting growth, Food Connects is looking to grow our Food Hub Operations team. The Food Hub Operations Coordinator will ideally have flexibility to work hours as needed, but will have the opportunity to work with food hub management to build this position out into a year-round, full-time position incorporating the strengths and qualities you will bring to the team.
The Food Hub Operations Coordinator (FHOC) will split time between driving delivery routes and coordinating backend work in the warehouse. The FHOC will ensure the safe, timely, and undamaged pickup and delivery of Food Hub products. This includes arranging (picking) the orders in the Food Connects warehouse prior to delivery. To manage this, the FHOC must have consistently exceptional organizational skills, record-keeping skills, and attention to detail.
While driving, the FHOC serves as a public face of a community-oriented food distribution network and provides courteous and respectful service to a wide variety of customers and food producers. It is a high-energy position that provides ample opportunities for those with interest in food systems to get to know local food producers and buyers in the Central New England area.
This is a hands-on position with the expectation that this individual will be flexible and able to jump in where needed to best optimize operations and support other team members. That could mean being out on the road driving, assisting in the warehouse with receiving and picking orders, assisting with sales, and other tasks as needed.
- Order Picking: Ensuring all orders contain the correct products from the correct farms and products. Checking products for quality, packing safely in delivery order, labeling and loading on truck to ensure quality, food safety, and personnel safety.
- Inventory: Ensuring all inventory is accounted for and stored safely to preserve product quality. Perishability is anticipated and mitigated. Coordinates inventory management and warehouse maintenance in cooperation with FHOM.
- Vehicle Maintenance: Coordinates regular vehicle maintenance of Food Connects Food Hub refrigerated fleet, which currently consists of 2009 Freightliner (24-foot reefer box truck) and 2018 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van. Food Connects will likely be adding a third vehicle in the near future. This will include ensuring vehicles are ready for daily use (pre- and post-trip inspections, shoveling, etc.)
- Food Safety: Coordinates with FHOM to ensure food safety compliance, planning, and supporting adherence to regulatory guidelines, while supporting smooth daily operations. This will including performing regular food safety-related checks on vehicles and warehouse and keeping required food safety records.
- Ensures the safe, timely, and undamaged pickup and delivery of all Food Hub products in vehicles as large as a 24-foot reefer box truck.
- Receives order picking details, all delivery logistics, driving details, and provides feedback to the FHOM.
- Inspects and verifies the complete contents and quality of all Food Hub products during pickup and quickly communicates any shortages or other issues to the FHOM.
- Modifies order slips at customer drops, as needed, and collects customer signatures and paperwork with each delivery.
- Coordinates directly with specific producers and customers to communicate ETAs and order status.
- Tracks and communicates mileage, hours, and other pertinent issues for each route.
- Experience driving box delivery trucks or other comparably-sized vehicles.
- General knowledge of veggies, fruits, and other locally-produced Items.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal: in person, over the phone, email, text.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills and natural proclivity for keeping detailed records.
- Cheerful, professional presence.
- Mechanical knowledge/familiarity with diesel trucks.
- Reliable private vehicle for getting to the base location in Brattleboro, VT, and for occasional small deliveries. Mileage tracked and reimbursed at the federal rate.
- Valid driver's license.
- Confidence working in a technology-driven environment.
- Reliable cell phone.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- At least 2 professional references.
- Note: CDL is NOT required, but is preferred.
- Experience in logistics and/or warehouse management.
- Experience with food distribution.
- Experience operating a pallet jack and forklift.
- Existing relationships with local food producers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of food safety & handling.
- Familiarity with the geographical area of our delivery services (Windham County, VT; Windsor County, VT; Upper Valley, VT + NH; Cheshire County, NH; Western Massachusetts)
- General knowledge of the sustainable food and agriculture sector.
Starting at $16 per hour, negotiable depending on experience.
- Please send cover letter, resume, and references in one PDF document to email@example.com with the subject line: Your Last Name>, Application: Food Hub Sales Manager.
- We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. This position will remain open until filled.
About the job
|Date||08 March 2019|