Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Food Hub Assistant
Cultivating Community works to help people with accessing good food - either by helping people buy locally grown, fresh foods, by teaching people how to cook with healthy food, or by helping people grow their own food to feed their families or to sell. Find out more at our website:
Cultivating Community is taking COVID-19 precautions very seriously - we are committed to making the workplace safe for staff and farmers above all else. We have redesigned our Food Hub operations to allow for social distancing, implemented new protocols on the farm requiring masks and temperature checks, and uphold both GAP and FSMA standards for food safety and wash station sanitation.
The Food Hub Assistant works at the Wash Station to help manage our Food Hub. You are responsible for a number of different jobs at the Wash Station:
- Make sure that farmers are bringing nice, high quality vegetables to sell to the food hub.
- Weigh the vegetables and record what each farmer is bringing to you in our computer systems.
- Pack produce in boxes and bags to send to our customers.
- Make sure the orders are complete and labeled correctly before delivery.
- Load the produce in our delivery van.
- Work with farmers to understand what quality means and how record keeping systems work.
What does the job involve?
- Manage the Wash and Pack Station (80%)
- Inspect vegetables arriving at the Food Hub, making sure everything is high quality and refusing poor quality fruits and vegetables.
- Recording orders and sales to make sure the customer gets the correct produce and that farmers get paid
- Work with farmers and staff to provide training on quality and market readiness
- Prepare, pack, and label orders for customers.
- Work with other staff and farmers to keep the area clean
- Follow rules about food safety and cleanliness.
- Provide interpretation and translation for farmers and staff in meetings, workshops, and technical assistance. (10%)
- Work with other staff to discuss what is going well and what is not going well with the farm program. (5%)
- Provide support for occasional deliveries or supply runs, occasionally support other staff and farmers at market or at farm-stands. (5%)
We are looking for someone with the following experiences or skills:
- Strong communication skills in both English and in Maay Maay.
- Computer skills
- Ability to work flexible schedules.
- Functional cellphone (we offer a reimbursement for cell phone usage).
- Ability to be on time
- Driver’s License and a good driver
- Must be physically able to work outside, lift heavy objects, and operate machinery for a whole work day.
The position is based at our farm in Lisbon, Maine.
This position is supervised by Wholesale Manager, Sandy Alles and the CSA Manager, Anna Tracht.
This position will start ASAP and run for 6 months - we expect this will run from July into early December. You will work for approximately 40 hours per week. The wage is approximately $16.50 per hour. You are eligible for overtime if you work over 40 hours per week. This position is not eligible for health care from Cultivating Community, but is eligible for other organizational benefits (mileage reimbursement, cell phone reimbursement, vouchers for free vegetables.)
How to Apply
We will begin reviewing applications immediately and will hire someone if the right candidate is found - please submit an application as quickly as possible. The last date to submit an application is June 19.
To apply, we need three things from you:
1) Write a letter explaining why you are interested in this job and why you are a good candidate.
2) Send a resume or CV that lists your previous work and education experience
3) Send a list of three people, (their names, phone numbers or email addresses) that you have worked for in the past. These people will be your references and should be willing to confirm that you are a good employee. These people can not be members of your family.
Please send these documents by email to Alex Redfield at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, before June 19.
If you have questions about this job or how to apply, you can call Alex at (207)475-7235.
About the job
|Date||10 June 2020|