Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as the COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a living wage in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: California Campaigns Director
About the California Program
Young Farmers’ California Program is designed to build political fluency, capacity, and leadership among California’s young farmers, particularly farmers of color. By listening to, resourcing, and supporting young farmers while retaining consistent relationships, we envision these farmers will have the confidence and tools to shape the future of agriculture in the state.
Young Farmers seeks a California Campaigns Director to build support and capacity for farmer-led change at the state level. We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about building power among communities that have been excluded from policy making and formal structures of power, particularly young farmers of color. Our ideal candidate is an experienced campaigner who understands the agricultural political landscape in California, can garner multi-stakeholder, multi-sector support for young farmer success, and can bring a strong racial equity analysis and thoughtful design process to the work of educating and motivating young farmers, particularly young farmers of color, to build power and win change.
The National Young Farmers Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, and veterans to apply.
Project & Program Management (30%)
- Direct strategy for California campaigns with input from State Policy Campaigns Director, farmers, and partners
- Implement, actively assess, and adapt California campaigns to effectively advance power for farmers of color
- Manage the California Organizer and collaborate with the National Organizing Team to design and implement innovative strategies in organizing, outreach, and engagement
- Manage the California Farmer Political Leadership Fellowship program with support from the California Organizer
Policy Platform and Campaign Development (40%)
- Develop, write, and present the California Young Farmer Platform through deep engagement of young farmers, centering farmers of color
- Build, manage, and participate in multi-sector coalitions in support of California Young Farmer Platform, with a particular focus on partnerships with organizations led by and serving farmers of color
- Build systems of accountability that ensure campaigns are farmer-identified and driven
- Work with research institutions and partners to identify new and creative policy solutions to the challenges young farmers face
- Produce persuasive policy communications to engage policy makers and press, including position statements and reports as well as policy briefs, one-pagers, bill summaries and presentations
- Garner support for policy priorities through grasstops lobbying at the state capitol and mobilizing grassroots actions
Stakeholder Engagement (20%)
- Connect farmer members to opportunities to influence California policy, programs, research, and food systems
- Conduct listening sessions and advocacy trainings to support farmer political fluency
- Initiate and maintain working relationships with food and farming organizations and build systems of accountability to ensure commitments are met
- Identify collaborative or coalition opportunities with agricultural, environmental, workforce, and other aligned organizations
- Partner with Young Farmers team to engage media, advance communications goals, and provide interviews, opinion pieces, and other verbal and written content pertinent to the work of the California Program
- Support development of Young Farmers Chapters in California in collaboration with the California Organizer and National Chapter Manager
- Support the financial sustainability of the California program
- Assist in identifying, cultivating, and maintaining funder relationships
- Collaborate with Young Farmers staff on grant-writing and reporting
Budget management (5%)
- Work with State Policy Campaigns Director to manage California Program budget
- Knowledge of California agricultural issues, programs, and policies;
- Experience in a policy or advocacy position;
- Experience managing projects and supervising staff and/or volunteers;
- Experience crafting and implementing projects with accountability and social justice means;
- Record of developing strong, lasting interpersonal relationships, particularly with communities of color, and experience working in coalition;
- A demonstrated commitment to racial equity in the workplace and in advocacy work;
- Compelling skills as a speaker and writer;
- Ability to work self-directed, but also be a strong team player;
- Be located in Sacramento or willing and able to travel to Sacramento.
Ideal candidate may also:
- Have experience working on a farm or ranch;
- Have experience in non-profit fundraising;
- Hold a relevant graduate degree or commensurate experience in law, community development, or policy;
- Be bilingual Spanish/English.
$61,000- $81,875 based on location and experience; Young Farmers offers a competitive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, retirement matching, sabbatical policy, and flex-time policy.
How to apply
Send a cover letter and one-page resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 13, 2020. Please put “California Campaigns Director” in the subject line. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. No calls, please.
About the job
|Date||25 June 2020|