Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Ashland Entrepreneurship Associate
About Mandela Partners:
Mandela Partners is a non-profit organizaon that works in partnership with local residents, family farmers, and community-based businesses to improve health, create wealth, and build assets through food enterprises in under-resourced communies. Our approach is based on a systems model that addresses issues of economic disinvestment, food insecurity, and health inequity, building on local assets to culvate thriving communies.
The Ashland Entrepreneurship Associate is part of Mandela Partners’ business development team, and will focus primarily on Ashland Market & Cafe (AMC). AMC is a food hall that supports four local start-up and growing food businesses. Ashland Market & Cafe is a unique opportunity to support and promote entrepreneurship and wealth building in unincorporated Alameda County.
The Ashland Entrepreneurship Associate supports the management and growth of Ashland Market & Cafe, by: culvang vendor relaonships, leading markeng & outreach efforts, managing the space, supporng workshops & community events (in-person & virtual), and preparing entrepreneurs in Mandela Partner’s network for opportunies to promote their businesses as they arise. The Ashland Entrepreneurship Associate will be largely on site at Ashland Market & Cafe and reports to the Entrepreneurship Development Coordinator. Within the context of COVID-19 and as the County re-emerges/re-opens, the Ashland Entrepreneurship Associate will play an important role in Ashland Market & Cafe’s growth.The Ashland Entrepreneurship Associate is a self-movated individual, able to navigate a diverse array of stakeholders and relaonships, with cultural humility. To be effecve in this posion requires paence and empathy, clear communicaon, the capacity to manage conflict and resoluon, adapve thinking and the ability to maintain a strong level of accountability. Experience in food and food business operaons is preferred. This posion includes one weekend day and occasional evening commitments.Fostering Vendor Relationships (25%)
- Consistently engages vendors to build relationships, strengthen accountability, and create systems to foster cohesion (see more details in “Space Management”)
- Observes/reports back on vendor relations to MP’s Business Development team team
- Assists Entrepreneurship Development Coordinator with developing programming that encourages space use and foot traffic at AMC and promotes positive relationship building between vendors and community residents
- Connects vendors to resources (ie. marketing support, bookkeeping etc) that support implementation of business ideas and growth
Space Management (25%)
- Holds vendors accountable to guidelines related to space use as outlined in Operator Agreement (i.e. cleaning, closing, communication etc)
- Lead as the first line of response for repairs and improvements requested by vendors
- Assists AMC’s management by monitoring and re-ordering supplies
Marketing & Outreach (25%)
- Implements AMC’s marketing plan by managing social media calendar (regular content creation and posting on AMC’s Facebook and Instagram)
- Updates AMC’s website
- Engages vendors in marketing strategies (including onsite signage) to improve visibility and increase foot traffic
- Liaises with Ashland Place (adjacent housing development) residents to strengthen relaonship building
Workshops & Community Events (15%)
- Supports execution of Ashland workshops by leading outreach & participant on-boarding, supporting day off logistics, and related administration (virtual and in-person events)
- Manages Community Events Calendar; leads outreach, day off logistics, and related administration (virtual and in-person events)
- Supports vendor-led events, when possible
- Supports Entrepreneurship Development Coordinator in understanding local entrepreneur needs (ie. connecting with entrepreneur / community members / orgs)
Market Access (10%)
- Provide support related to local sales channels including entrepreneur outreach and on-boarding, and event / on-site support (some evenings/weekends)
- Commitment to working with and in low to moderate income communities of color
- Ability to interact comfortably with a broad range of people and backgrounds; strong capacity to connect with program participants and build relationships with candor and humility
- Ability to navigate conflict with compassion
- Capacity to maintain accountability
- Creative & flexible thinker
- Sense of humor
- Strong project management, wring, and organization skills
- Marketing & graphic design & video editing skills a plus
- Experience in food production, food retail, and or food business operations preferred
- Flexible and team-oriented approach to problem-solving
- Interest in growing with a dynamic organization
- Bilingual Spanish preferred but not required
Wage, Timing, and Additional Information:
This is a part me (24 hours a week), non-exempt position. Starting at $18 - $20 per hour. Likely schedule: Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Evening hours may be required. Workspace will be within a foodhall; please be mindful that there may be varying levels of noise. We also recommend having a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle to facilitate transportaon to and from AMC and other sales channels opportunies.
Please forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 8th, 2020.
Mandela Partners is an equal opportunity employer: LGBTQ, people of color, women and lifelong Ashland residents are encouraged to apply.
About the job
|Date||14 July 2020|