Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: FoodSource Hotline Counselor
About Project Bread:
Project Bread is the leading statewide organization committed to preventing and ending hunger in Massachusetts. While providing immediate relief to those who are hungry today, we also work to prevent and ultimately end hunger by prioritizing programs that are proven to break the cycle of poverty and advocating for systemic solutions. We recognize that hunger is both a consequence and perpetuating agent of economic inequity and health disparities.
Project Bread is a vibrant organization with a deep commitment to creating positive social change. We work in a fast-paced environment that values learning and an entrepreneurial approach. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, Project Bread is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community, including groups that are traditionally underrepresented among our sector leadership. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. Please be sure to submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization. We appreciate your time and will review and respond to all applications received.
To assist us in meeting our mission, Project Bread is seeking a FoodSource Hotline Counselor to join our team.
Project Bread’s FoodSource Hotline is an information and referral service designed to connect Massachusetts residents in need with a variety of food resources in their local community. FoodSource Hotline counselors provide direct assistance to 25,000+ callers per year who are struggling with food insecurity. Working as part of a team, counselors listen to the individual stories of each caller; refer them to community food programs and other helpful resources, as well as provide over-the-phone SNAP (formerly food stamps) screening and application assistance and follow-up with applicants throughout the process.
- Screen callers to determine their eligibility for the SNAP/Food Stamp program and assist callers over the phone to complete a SNAP application.
- Provide information to current recipients, applicants, and social service agencies, regarding SNAP procedures, regulations, and rights.
- Refer those in need to food resources such as food pantries, WIC, home delivered meals, school and summer meals, as well as other agencies that can assist with food and non-food related needs.
- Input all relevant call data accurately into the FoodSource Hotline Salesforce database.
- Answer LiveChat Instant messages, update local food resources information in the database, and assist with reports and research.
- Participate in the annual Walk for Hunger, including working as event staff the weekend of the Walk, attending pre-Walk events as assigned, and supporting Walk for Hunger fundraising efforts.
- Participate in organization-wide events and meetings and perform other program duties as assigned.
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow, and excel professionally. We know people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. That said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below.
- High school diploma with 3+ years of experience
- Bilingual Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin/Cantonese, Haitian Creole or Vietnamese
- Database and/or website content management experience
- Thrives in a team environment
- Customer service, public service preferred
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Sense of humor
Please submit resume and cover letter, in MS Word or PDF format, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Project Bread is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, Project Bread is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community, including groups that are traditionally underrepresented among our sector leadership. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to request special accommodations during the interview process.
About the job
|Date||13 July 2020|