Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Education Director
About KC Farm School:
KC Farm School at Gibbs Road empowers individuals through on-farm hands-on experiences and vocational education connecting them to the land and soil, food, themselves and their communities. At the center of its community, the farm generates an inspiring environment transforming the individual and society through community-wide, multi-generational, participatory, and collaborative food projects while it provides vocational training, job opportunities, healing and fun.
KC Farm School at Gibbs Road is a three-acre organic farm with an acre in vegetable production, another acre in native plants and perennials, and a community greenhouse. The produce grown at KC Farm School is marketed through two CSAs, an on-site pay-what-you-please farm stand, wholesale to local schools, restaurants, and corporations through the Kansas City Food Hub, and is donated to food pantries. The farm offers educational programs that include farm visits, farm camp, Growing Growers apprenticeships, internships, job shadowing, vocational job skills training, and workshops. We are a startup 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization established in 2018.
Our first Education Director will add structure to our education programming goals and build bridges between the farm, schools and the community. The Education Director will develop and guide the learning experiences of all who walk the farm with an eye to inclusivity, respect and in a way that accomplishes the mission and vision of KC Farm School.
- Greet all that come to the farm with warmth.
- Develop and manage educational goals for farm staff and farm guests.
- Design and manage the educational experience of our job skills training participants, youth field trip participants, apprentices and volunteers.
- Write K-12 ag-ed curriculum and programs.
- Manage the outreach and recruitment of schools, and the community for on-farm educational and volunteerism experiences.
- Lead the curriculum committee, and assist our wellness committee.
- Assist with fund development.
- Collaborate with Programs Director in workshop development
- The Education Director will be working with youth and must submit to a background check before being hired.
- Uphold the mission and vision of KC Farm School at Gibbs Road
- Interact with all in a professional, inclusive, kind & timely manner
- Keep records of impact and provide reports to donors, the board and participate in strategic planning
- Do things “with” and not “for”
Shared leadership responsibilities include:
- Event and fundraiser attendance, planning and coordination
- Farm to School Action Plan development and fidelity
- Plan and attend community and volunteer events
- Assist with transplant sales and on-farm market
- Marketing and promotion
- Data collection and analysis of impact
- Participate in all other duties as assigned
Must have a Bachelor's Degree or prove similar educational experience ● Must have at least three years experience in an educational environment ● Must have experiential knowledge of small-scale organic agriculture ● Key Skills- Strong interpersonal skills, welcoming manner; good communicator, solutionary, can-do spirit, tireless energy, willingness to work in all weather conditions
Wage, Timing, and/or Additional Information:
$36-40,000/year based upon experience, paid bi-weekly.
- 20 paid days of leave time per year after 3 months of continual employment prorated based on hire date.
- $50 per month insurance stipend.
- Plenty of veggies and plants
Start Date: September 1, 2020
Duration: Full-time, permanent
Work Schedule: As discussed with the core team
Submit a letter of intent, resume, and a document that answers the following questions: 1) Design an exemplar on-farm lesson plan for a group of 10 high school science students with varying abilities. 2) We invite people of all ages, abilities and ancestries to the farm. What is your philosophy of education and inclusion? 3) Write an example social media post about the educational activities you would provide at KC Farm School. Submit all to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 24, 2020
Good Grows at Gibbs Road. We empower individuals of all ages, abilities and ancestries to feel, to learn, to grow and to share. Moving about under the big Kansas sky, we are free. Working in the soil, we are one. In this together, we celebrate our differences as we grow common ground.
About the job
|Location||Kansas City, Kansas|
|Date||20 July 2020|