Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Food Production and Sales Associate
About East End Food Institute:
East End Food Institute is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that builds partnerships among farmers, food producers, and food consumers on the East End of Long Island. Our members work together to create a more economically-viable, environmentally-sustainable, more efficient, and equitable local food system.
The Food Production & Sales Associate is a motivated individual who helps fulfill our nonprofit mission to support, promote, and advocate for the farmers, vintners, fishermen, and other food producers and providers on the East End of Long Island. The Food Production & Sales Associate is a full-time, temporary position reporting to the Associate Director. The Food Production & Sales Associate works with the Chef-in-Residence to fulfill wholesale client orders, complete Farm to Community produce orders, as well as tasks associated with the smooth daily operations of the kitchen and related organizational activities. As we are a dynamic and growing organization, there is the potential for this temporary position to grow into a more permanent role. Some evening and weekend work may be required, however most shifts will be scheduled Monday - Friday between 9:00am to 5:00pm.
- Work with Chef-in-Residence to test, refine, and scale wholesale recipes.
- Exercise the utmost discretion with regard to recipes, production techniques, and trade secrets.
Food Production and Packaging
- Coordinate with the Chef-in-Residence & Associate Director to receive orders and schedule production, including ingredient and packaging orders, staffing, and delivery.
- Help oversee and implement the production of wholesale and co-packing client food products and ensure the highest food safety and quality standards are maintained throughout processing.
- Ensure products meet all food safety standards, including packaging and labeling.
- Maintain a sanitary environment in the kitchen and dish-room by cleaning dishes and putting clean items away throughout each day.
- Complete other daily, weekly, and periodic cleaning projects as needed.
- Be alert to food safety issues and commit to reporting and addressing issues as needed.
- Other projects as assigned.
- Conduct research to update our list of possible new clients/sales leads
- Coordinate with the admin team (Executive Director, Associate Director, and Program Coordinator) to conduct outreach to potential clients.
- Communicate with past, current, and prospective clients via email, phone, and in-person meetings
- Ability to work within a team to maintain the highest quality and food safety standards.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and excellent communication skills.
- Experience with food preparation or manufacturing.
- Valid Suffolk County Food Managers Certificate or Serv-Safe Food Managers Certificate, or willingness to obtain.
- Commitment to the mission of East End Food Institute, and supporting local farmers & food producers.
- Experience with either recipe development & scaling, or production/manufacturing of food products.
- Knowledge of New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets and federal food standards.
- Physical ability to lift up to 40 lbs and stand for full days during production in the kitchen.
- Familiarity with local farming and food community on the East End of Long Island, NY.
- Strong Spanish-language skills
Wage, Timing, and/or Additional Information:
- 30-40 hours per week
- Temporary Leave Replacement
- Compensation commensurate with experience ($17 - $19/hr)
- Daily Shift Meal
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
About the job
|Location||Southampton, New York|
|Date||21 July 2020|