NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Community Engagement Assistant
About DC Greens:
DC Greens, a non-profit organization that uses the levers of food education, food access, and food policy to advance food justice in the nation's capital, seeks a Community Engagement Assistant. This position will support customer outreach and conduct customer communications for the Produce Plus program. Produce Plus is a city program that helps low-income DC residents purchase fresh fruits and vegetables at DC farmers’ markets.
An ideal applicant must be able to demonstrate excellent organizational skills, meet external requests in a timely manner, provide compassionate service and accurate information to customers in a fast paced environment me. Additionally, the Community Engagement Assistant must be able to communicate with the diverse group of people who make up the Produce Plus community, including customers, volunteers, farmers’ market managers, and leaders of community institutions.
This position reports to the Community Engagement Specialist and receives additional guidance from the Produce Plus Manager.
Work with the Community Engagement Specialist to execute the Produce Plus Community Engagement Strategy including:
- Develop and maintain relationships with key service providers and community institutions (such as schools, clinics, senior centers, pantries, and places of worship)
- Schedule Produce Plus presentations with service providers and community institutions
- Support distribution of Produce Plus materials to service providers and community institutions
- Represent DC Greens and the Produce Plus program at community events
- Answer customer phone calls through the Produce Plus hotline
- Send and respond to customer emails, sms (text) messages, and social media posts
- Support market teams with technical issues and conflict resolution at market sites
- Conduct in-home customer registrations for the Produce Plus program
Program Implementation and Support:
- Attend weekly Produce Plus team meetings
- Conduct Produce Plus site visits at farmers’ markets as assigned
- Support outreach and training for Produce Plus volunteers
- High school diploma
- Experience with facilitating trainings, workshops or classroom settings
- Proven written and verbal communication skills, public speaking experience
- Proficient in Google Suite (Gmail, Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Calendar)
- High degree of professionalism, customer service experience,
- Experience in outreach and ability to be flexible
- Strong familiarity with D.C. communities in Wards 1, 5, 7, and 8
- Enthusiasm for farmers’ markets and healthy food, and commitment to the vision and mission of DC Greens’ work
- Drivers’ license and access to a vehicle, preferred
- Proficiency in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, or Amharic is a plus
- Ability to lift 20lbs; ability to stock and move supplies from various locations
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a temporary, seasonal and part-time (30 hours/week) position from late April to October. The rate is $18.00 per hour, less any applicable withholdings. This position will require work during the evenings and on weekends, with flexibility of work hours. Transportation benefits are provided. This position is ineligible to receive any other company benefits.
The start date is April 29th, 2019. The Community Engagement Assistant will join a welcoming office that strives to provide meaningful opportunities to employees.
DC Greens is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people of color, bilingual and bicultural individuals, people who have experienced poverty, women, and members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical status. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
If interested, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "Community Engagement Assistant" in the subject line and save your cover letter and resume as a single attachment labeled “LAST NAME, FIRST NAME_Application.” The deadline to apply is March 22, 2019, 11:59 pm EST.
About the job
|Date||08 March 2019|