NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Note that farm apprenticeships are not included.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Production Chef
About Food Shift:
Food Shift, a project of Earth Island Institute, is developing collaborative models to reduce wasted food, feed communities, and provide jobs. Food Shift’s primary project is The Food Shift Kitchen, a unique social enterprise that recovers produce that would have otherwise been wasted due to cosmetic imperfections and transforms it into nutritious food products that are donated to food insecure communities or sold to local businesses to generate revenue for the program.
The Food Shift Kitchen is located at Alameda Point Collaborative (APC), a housing cooperative that provides housing assistance for low income and formerly homeless families. Ninety-nine percent are APC residents are living below the poverty line and struggling with disabilities. Food Shift partners with APC’s on the job training (OJT) program to provide a six-month culinary apprenticeship and certification program. Apprentices (OTJs) learn valuable work-ready skills that will support them in acquiring future employment-- strengthening their economic security and personal empowerment.
Food Shift is committed to building a financially sustainable social enterprise. This means that while we deliver on our mission to reduce waste and feed people, we are committed to providing jobs for people who need them the most and are actively developing opportunities for revenue generation. We are inspired and influenced by the success of DC Central Kitchen and we aim to grow our impact throughout the Bay Area and demonstrate a positive model for the rest of the nation to follow.
The Production Chef is responsible for the orchestration of Food Shifts social enterprise ventures; catering, value-added production, and shelter meals as well as providing support to our OJTs as their skills are refined on the job. This position will often direct OJTs, volunteers and requires excellent leadership skills.
- Creation of menus & recipes for catering clients, shelter meals & value-added products.
- Lead OJTs & volunteers in executing food production for Food Shift clients.
- Providing necessary training for OJTs to accomplish tasks and develop culinary skills.
- Ensure that all food is prepared and ready to be delivered in a timely manner according to the required delivery schedule.
- Place food and supply orders with Culinary Educator & Driver.
- Manage food and dry good inventory with Culinary Educator.
- Maintain ServSafe Manager certification and implement policies and procedures to ensure food sanitation and workplace safety standards are maintained at all times.
- Working knowledge of HACCP Plan and is able to comply with all federal and state regulations pertaining to food handling/production.
- Track all inbound and outbound food and supplies by labeling, monitoring, and tracking them with the proper forms and procedures ensuring as little food as possible is wasted in The Food Shift Kitchen.
- Execute cleaning schedules and procedures to ensure a clean and organized kitchen.
- Execute catering from the front of house and back of house, including possibly driving and working on site.
- Drive the Food Shift van or personal vehicle as needed for pick-ups and/or drop-offs.
- Identify necessary purchases of ingredients and/or supplies, and tell Program Manager.
- Help with sourcing supplies purchased or donated when needed.
- Check equipment functionality and report any issues with Culinary Educator.
- Passion and drive to contribute to Food Shift’s mission.
- Must have valid CA Driver’s License and a clean driving record.
- Must hold current ServSafe manager certificate.
- 2+ years of supervisory experience, working in high volume restaurants or production kitchen.
- Organized and efficient in executing administration and logistics. High level of attention to detail.
- Experience mentoring and teaching others.
- Understanding of culinary terms, knowledge, and skills; able to uphold the highest food quality standards.
- Patience, compassion, and clear communication.
- Dedicated to recycling, composting, and keeping food out of the waste stream
- Strong written and computer skills communication skills.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com with the email subject line “Production Chef Application [Your name]”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
About the job
|Date||11 March 2019|