NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Registered Dietician
About Eat Well Play Hard:
Eat Well Play Hard (EWPH) is a key childhood obesity prevention initiative of the New York State Department of Health.
Childhood obesity is a major public health problem in New York State (NYS). According to the NYS Strategic Plan for Overweight and Obesity Prevention, recent data indicate that the prevalence of obesity among children and teenagers in the U.S. has tripled in the past 20 to 30 years. Nearly one-third of preschool-age children in New York State, aged 2 up to 5 years, are considered obese or overweight. In New York City alone, about one in four elementary school children (grades K-5) are obese. These prevalence rates greatly exceed the prevalence reported for the U.S. (15.8%).
Eat Well Play Hard was developed to help prevent childhood obesity and reduce long-term risks for chronic disease through the promotion of targeted dietary practices and increased physical activity. Poor nutrition and inadequate physical activity combined are the second most preventable actual cause of death in the USA. Being active builds healthy muscles, strengthens bones and helps maintain a healthy weight. It also reduces the risk of diabetes, heart attack and high blood pressure.
The Part-time Nutritionist/Registered Dietitian (RD) will implement the Champion Initiative, a component of Eat Well Play Hard in Child Care Settings (EWPHCCS), a SNAP-Ed-funded New York State Health Department program. The Champion Initiative supports eligible group child care centers with creating and enhancing environments that support healthy eating and physical activity practices.
- Work with four to five child care centers per year to implement Champion activities, which include: acting as technical consultant for child care
center staff regarding best practices in physical activity and nutrition; providing assistance with goal setting and action plan development; and providing resources and support to centers as they work towards achieving their goals.
- Create a Champion work group of key stakeholders at the center to work on action plan steps and to accomplish best practices goals.
- Prepare for and provide nutrition education workshops for children, caregivers, and staff using the EWPHCCS curriculum
- Conduct follow up meetings and trainings with center staff to support sustained implementation of Champion goals.
- Follow evaluation protocol including collecting and submitting implementation data and evaluation documents
- Participate in monthly team meetings and provide feedback regarding program implementation.
- Compile and maintain supplies necessary for program implementation.
- Serve as EWPHCCS representative in coalitions and workgroups to learn about available resources and, promote program activities and strategies
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Registered Dietitian, certified with the Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition, Public Health or related field. Master’s Degree (preferred)
- Serv Safe or related food safety certification (preferred)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required
- Bilingual in Spanish (preferred)
- Experience providing nutrition education in group settings, preferably with young children, diverse communities and low-income audiences.
- Flexible, outgoing and able to work independently and productively without direct daily supervision
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Understanding of the underlying causes of health inequities and community food security issues on Long Island (preferred)
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Send resume and cover letter to: Cynthia Lenz, Manager of Operations & Human Resources, Child Care Council of Nassau, Inc., firstname.lastname@example.org
About the job
|Location||Long Island, New York|
|Date||23 January 2019|
About the company
|Company name||Eat Well Play Hard|