NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Food Hub Logistics Manager
About Green Mountain Farm-to-School:
Green Mountain Farm-to-School seeks a dynamic, mission-driven food systems professional with strong business and organization skills to support the growth and operations of our food hub. The Food HubLogistics Manager will develop, manage, and grow the operations and systems of Green Mountain Farm Direct (GMFD), a project of Green Mountain Farm to School. GMFD is a growing regional food hub focused on improving access to fresh, affordable, high-quality Vermont food for people living in the most rural areas of Vermont. GMFD serves an area known for its rich agricultural landscape, independent thinking, and community-mindedness. Our farmers have generous spirits and our customers value the connection we foster with their neighbors who grow and produce the food they eat. Green Mountain Farm Direct (GMFD) is a regional food hub distributing local food to schools, institutions, and other sales outlets in northern Vermont. GMFD works with over 30 local farms to provide a variety of local foods including apples, meat, vegetables, grains, eggs, and dairy. Annual sales are approximately $400,000.
- Manage the daily operations including accurately receiving and processing customer orders, responding to customer inquiries, coordinating with distribution partner and vendors, generating and distributing weekly product list.
- Coordinates with distribution partner regarding inventory management and distribution errors.
- Act as primary point of contact for order logistics and distribution, including fielding and resolving customer/producer issues.
- Build and maintain relationships with schools, farms, senior meal sites, restaurants, grocers, other institutions, and collaborators in local food distribution.
- Maintain & update GMFD website.
- Maintain and update weekly product availability for Green Mountain Farm Direct online ordering platform.
- Provide technical assistance referrals for customers and vendors.
- Participate in strategic planning process for Farm Direct, prioritize actions based on best fit with program’s mission and on potential to ensure long term viability.
- Create and implement training, professional development, and special events for buyers and farmers.
- Develop and implement evaluation tools; collect, analyze, and report data for program evaluation.
- Data tracking, analysis, program planning.
- Schedule and facilitate external and internal team meetings.
- Collaborate with GMFTS Finance Coordinator on matters related to accounts payable and receivable, follow-up with customers and vendors as needed
- Organize implementation of promotion and marketing campaigns for food producers and local food.
- Plan and organize annual series of on-farm community dinners.
- Provide general operational and administrative support to the organization, as necessary.
- Organize and implement Harvest of the Month production planning with producers and customers
- Previous sales experience and knowledge of the area preferred.
- Knowledge of local food.
- Technologically literate with strong computer and internet skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Attentive to detail; Good organizational skills and record keeping.
- Strong knowledge of veggies, fruits, dairy, meats, value-added products and other locally-produced foods preferred.
- Reliable private vehicle. Mileage tracked and reimbursed at company rate.
- Cheerful, professional presence.
- Interest in and ability to adapt to changes in evolving business, be creative, and jump in where need to optimize operations.
- Desire and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Ability to interact with customers in a friendly and professional manner in demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter who can work independently.
- Flexible; able to prioritize and manage workload in an evolving work environment.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective and productive working relationships with co-workers and individuals/groups with diverse interests and perspectives
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, Food Systems, or related field required or equivalent experience
- Existing relationships with food producers in Northern Vermont.
- General knowledge of the sustainable food and agriculture sector.
- General knowledge of purchasing regulations and/or business development, especially in the food sector.
- Familiarity with geographical area of northern and central Vermont.
His is a full-time position (40 hours/week, Monday-Friday) with salary range $35,000-$38,000.00 commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package including paid time off, employer sponsored healthcare and supported wellness initiatives.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Position opened until filled. EOE. About Green Mountain Farm-to-School Green Mountain Farm-to-School (GMFTS) is a dynamic nonprofit organization promoting the health and well-being of Vermont’s children, farms and communities. Our programs connect schools and farms through food and education. We do this by building school gardens, delivering local food to schools and institutions, and educating the community about healthy food choices. GMFTS is a fast growing and exciting place to be, with a number of initiatives that support employee health and wellness. To learn more about GMFTS’programs and initiatives, please visitwww.greenmountainfarmtoschool.org.
About the job
|Date||06 May 2019|