NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Garden Educator
The CitySprouts mission is to cultivate wonder for all children with hands-on learning through urban gardening. Integrated into the academic curriculum, CitySprouts gardens inspire teachers, students, and families with a deep, connection to the food cycle, sustainable agriculture, and the natural environment. Based in public elementary and middle schools in Boston and Cambridge, CitySprouts School Partnership Program (during school time) works closely with teachers to establish experiential learning in the garden and integrate garden-based education in teachers’ practice and school culture. The CitySprouts Middle School Program (out of school time) curriculum is grounded in scientific inquiry, engineering practices and understanding food systems – starting from the school garden. Seventeen years since its inception in 2001, CitySprouts’ two programs now serve more than 7,000 students and 300 teachers in 21 public schools in Boston and Cambridge and reach children as young as 3 and up to 14 years of age.
This Garden Educator is a full-time, year round staff position. The Garden Educator is responsible for delivering the CitySprouts program to 3 school partners during the school year and to lead 1 middle school program, in both after school and summer. The Garden Educator reports to the Director of Programs.
The CitySprouts Garden Educator position is an opportunity to deepen and expand skills and knowledge in the area of informal education and youth development. We are seeking applicants who bring relevant experience to our team of educators and who are eager to expand their knowledge as a member of our team. CitySprouts is committed to providing on-going professional development and support in the areas of content knowledge, inquiry-based instruction, cultural competency and child/youth driven learning.
Encourage, support and lead CitySprouts’ garden instruction:
- Lead garden instruction for students ages 3-14, in the focus areas of gardening, scientific inquiry, food systems, cooking skills, environmental science and social emotional skills
- Build relationships with and provide technical support to teachers in developing garden-based extensions to classroom lessons
- Co-teach with teachers in the garden and classroom
- Lead Out-of-School-Time (OST) middle school programming in summer
Maintain schools’ outdoor classroom garden as an educational resource for teachers and the school community:
- Serve as the garden “expert” to the school community
- Maintain an attractive & functional garden space with a variety of edible crops, flowers, native species, and specialty plants throughout the growing season, using sustainable gardening practices
- Coordinate use of the growing space for teachers, school staff and community partners, ensuring that teachers and community members have access to school garden supplies & resources
Program Coordination & Supervision:
- Mentor Summer Fellows in running CitySprouts summer program, helping them develop garden educator, youth development and leadership skills
- Support and actively engage families of middle school program participants
- Lead volunteer opportunities in the garden or within middle school youth programming
- Experience in a public school setting and/or as a classroom teacher
- Experience working with both early learners and middle school youth, preferably in outdoor education
- Experience managing a food-producing garden & maintain a working knowledge of sustainable gardening practices
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred
- Experience managing staff or mentoring interns and volunteers
- Strong interpersonal skills including excellent listening, public speaking, oral and written communications skills
- Proven capacity to work in a multicultural workforce, including sensitivity and competency in working with individuals and groups of diverse cultural, socioeconomic, and lifestyle backgrounds
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for the CitySprouts mission
- Ability to do physical work outside
- Access to a car (mileage reimbursement included)
Base annual salary for this Garden Educator position is $37,560 (Benefits include health insurance, Simple IRA plan match & generous paid time off policy)
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com on or before May 21, 2019. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
About the job
|Date||08 May 2019|