About Equal Exchange:
Equal Exchange is a fair trade organization and coffee roaster headquartered in West Bridgewater, MA. Founded in 1986, our mission is to create more fair trade relationships between farmers and consumers. We bypass the conventional marketing system by cutting out middlemen and buying directly from farmer cooperatives. Due to the complex level of training involved with a worker-owner co-operative, Equal Exchange does ask for a two-year commitment to employment.
- Regular, non-exempt position, worker-owner track
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Hourly Compensation: TBD
- Benefits: health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- Reports to DSD Market Developer
- Responsible for: Direct Store Deliveries and warehouse duties in the Seattle market. Goals and regional office support as determined by supervisor.
- Deliver and Merchandise Equal Exchange products
- Fill & Clean coffee bins
- Inventory management/ FIFO (first in first out)
- Oversee and document Equal Exchange display maintenance (bin units, grinders, etc.)
- Generate, pick and deliver accurate orders
- Maintain a clean, orderly delivery vehicle, including routine maintenance schedule as delegated by Supervisor
- Maintain customer relationships and provide a high level of customer service to DSD accounts
- Receive and unload deliveries and transfers
- Ensure product rotation
- Maintain a clean, orderly storage area
- Keep track and log discrepancies & damage issues
- Participate in maintaining accurate inventory
- Participate with department team-mates to continuously improve our practices and systems. Work in a team-based system with Sales, Customer Service, and other co-workers to build an effective, efficient organization.
- Participate in staff, team, department and educational meetings
- Understand our producer partners, trading policies and the Fair Trade movement
- Understand and participate in our worker cooperative model
- An interest in the mission of Equal Exchange
- An interest in natural foods grocery retailing and dealing with store workers and their consumers
- Ability to communicate and problem solve effectively with customers and team members
- Ability to manage time and responsibilities
- A desire to learn and contribute to the success of the organization.
- Enjoy working as part of a small regional team.
- An ability to do extensive lifting is required (up to 70 lbs).
- An ability to pay attention to detail and work accurately while managing multiple deadlines.
- Basic understanding of English.
- Requires a valid driver’s license.
- Willingness to do other tasks as needed to support the team as requested by the supervisor.
- Comfortable driving and maneuvering large vehicles.
Please send your resume, cover letter and answers to the following to email@example.com:
- What should Equal Exchange’s role be in the current fair trade market?
- What role do you think the Seattle DSD person plays in the livelihood of small scale farmers that we support?
- Why are you interested in becoming part of a small, worker-owner sales/distribution team?
Equal Exchange supports equal employment opportunity for all classes of individuals, regardless of age, race, color, national origin, citizenship status, disability, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, economic status, veteran status. Additionally, people who are oppressed or are denied power and privilege in society are strongly encouraged to apply.