About Wardensville Garden Market and Bakery:
Launched in 2016, the Wardensville Garden Market + Bakery is a thriving farm and food-based social enterprise dedicated to expanding opportunities for local Appalachian youth. We address historically negative economic development in Appalachia, which often only created profits for outside companies, by operating like a business, harnessing the power of market demand to generate income, while also creating positive impact locally. In 2018, our budget grew to over $1M, and since we are a non-profit, 100% of that was reinvested back into the project and local community.
Unlike a traditional business, we measure our success not by our profits, but instead by the local impact we have in three areas: 1) Social—creating educational and economic opportunities, 2) Environmental—protecting the natural environment, and 3) Financial Reinvestment—100% reinvested locally. This is what we call our “triple bottom line”.
By creating rewarding local opportunities for youth within a successful, sustainable business and providing them with high-quality training and enrichment activities, we believe they will be better equipped to achieve their long-term goals, which positively impacts the community as a whole. Our unique location, mission and farm setting create endless opportunities for significant educational and environmental partnerships.
We are seeking a Managing Director to oversee the expanding farm, market, and bakery operations and to deepen our youth development and educational programming, partnerships, fundraising, and marketing.
For this newly created role, we need a strategic leader and seasoned manager with experience in community and economic development and a deep passion for youth development. The successful candidate will be dynamic and prepared for the challenge of helping us build and expand the organization while also ensuring that it continues to run successfully and efficiently. They will also have the skills, sensitivity, and confidence to inspire and tap into the strengths that each member of the team brings to the organization. While It is essential that the candidate be results driven and capable of setting and achieving ambitious goals, it is also critical the culture retain its creative, collaborative spark.
- Oversee the organization’s daily operations, including the farm, market, and bakery as well as the educational programming, partnerships, communications, marketing, and fundraising functions to ensure they run smoothly and effectively.
- Work closely with the President, staff, and board to develop, articulate, and implement overall organizational strategy and set goals.
- Manage senior staff and provide day-to-day leadership, strategic direction, and problem-solving, devising wise and actionable solutions to challenges small and large.
- Ensure high standards are maintained and goals met.
- Consolidate growth by strengthening management practices, including nurturing a culture of feedback, enhancing internal communications, clarifying roles and responsibilities, and ensuring timely decision making.
- Manage the organization’s finances, including overseeing budget creation, tracking revenues, and expenses.
- Create and oversee strategies that raise at least 30-40% of the overall budget per year, from sales, grants, and individual contributions.
- Oversee the development of effective systems such as finance and technology to increase productivity, ensure efficiency, and support the needs of a growing organization.
- Continually assess the extent to which the organization is fulfilling its mission and identify, in collaboration with staff and student employees, ways to improve based on feedback and other data.
- Engaging, inclusive, and collaborative leadership style and accomplished manager. You motivate, inspire, and support people of diverse backgrounds and ages to continually meet high expectations. You’ve led teams of 15+ people and overseen an annual budget of at least $500K.
- Proven operations expert. You have a successful operations track record in fast-paced, high growth environments. You’re an outstanding project manager who gets the big picture vision and is accountable for achieving ambitious goals while juggling a wide range of initiatives in an entrepreneurial
- Passion and patience for youth development. You easily build rapport with young people and have the skills necessary to mentor, empower, and create new opportunities with them.
- Proven fundraising prowess. You’ve developed and successfully implemented fundraising strategies and overseen or directly raised at least $100,000 annually from diverse revenue sources, including government, foundations, and individuals.
- Community and economic development experience. You’ve worked for multiple years, preferably in a rural area, to strengthen civic life and create new economic opportunities.
- Regional expertise. You possess a deep cultural understanding and ability to relate to the challenges, opportunities and experiences of people living in rural communities, especially those in Eastern WV and Appalachia. Regional roots and personal ties are a plus.
- Ability to quickly build trust, credibility, and goodwill. You have led and managed large groups and projects that have required trust and credibility with staff, students, partners, community members, funders, and board members.
- An exemplar of our culture. You will be responsible for creating workplace cultural norms while also challenging complacency. People will take their cues about who we are and how we operate from your actions. You are a leader who is unafraid of failure and is always willing to learn and stay curious. You will blend high standards and rigor with a calm, egoless approach and an ability to remain focused when
things don’t go as planned.
Highly competitive compensation commensurate with applicant experience.
We strongly recommend that you apply as soon as possible. We will interview prospective candidates on an ongoing basis to fill the position immediately. Please send a cover letter and your resume to the email address provided below:
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or military status, in any of our activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, customers, volunteers, contractors, vendors and anyone else we work with.