About the Company
Allergic to Salad is a youth-based culinary program. We offer hands-on, from-scratch CORE- and STEM-based healthy cooking classes to after-school and in-school programs for students aged PreK thru Middle School.
We realize many claim they are “allergic to salad”– a convenient and understandable excuse in this era of pre-packaged industrialized food. Our work combats this widespread “allergy,” while increasing skills, technique, and familiarity with healthy foods, and creating a platform for a lifetime of adventurous eating through activity-filled classes.
About the position
Are you passionate about cooking, healthy eating and educating children? Join the Allergic to Salad team!
Positions available on rolling basis!
Especially seeking educators for our BRONX and QUEENS.
(All locations welcome to apply)
Allergic to Salad is seeking reliable, self-motivated, independent, fun-loving and kid-loving part-time Children’s Food Educators to join our team. The Children’s Food Educators work closely with Allergic to Salad founder and lead educator, Stacey Ornstein and ATS’ Program Officer, with high potential for growth into independent self-led positions. This person(s) is responsible for leading and/or assisting kids cooking events (classes, parties and special events). Classes are in various locations around the city -- east Brooklyn, lower Manhattan, Western Queens, for example. Candidate should be a good, clear communicator, flexible and positive team player and outspoken and comfortable working with children. Opinions regarding issues around food access, food justice and local foods a plus. A knowledge of, and willingness to teach a variety of cuisines, as well as an ability to “cook on the fly” if needed. 2+ years experience teaching children in some capacity a MUST. Experience teaching / managing a classroom (pre-school aged or older) NECESSARY!
At least 2 years working with children highly preferred. Culinary degree not necessary.
Seeking educators for the 2017-2018 school year to teach. Most classes available in AFTER SCHOOL hours (2:30 to 6:00pm). Limited in-school offerings.
Note that payment is PER CLASS, not hour. Payment is $75 (or more) PER CLASS (educators are responsible for food purchases, averaging $10-15 per class). (Take home pay, post food purchase and figuring for class set up and clean up tends break down to $20-25/ HOUR.)
We are seeking educators to teach in all locations (tho preference to educators willing to travel to Bronx and Queens)! Please make note of your location preference in the subject of your email!
- Assisting and/or leading kids cooking events (classes, parties, and special events) for kids aged 2.5 to 16, as well as some high school/ adult/ family classes.
- Prep for classes: purchasing groceries and prepping/ cleaning, as necessary.
- Clean up: Must leave locations in condition found, or cleaner.
- Lead, supervise and aid children during cooking while building a discourse on relevant food topics.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with both parents and children.
- Follow up after classes with attendees and with Allergic to Salad.
- Potential for recipe development, testing, writing and other opportunities
- Maintain a positive, safe, supportive and welcoming environment.
Flexible/ part-time. Most classes take place AFTER SCHOOL (3:00 – 5:00 PM). Availability at least TWO weekdays during after-school is a must. Commitment can increase to weekends once after school classes are established. Looking for educators to take on classes starting September for the 2016-2017 school year. There may be some summer programming, tho limited.
Knowledge & Experience
- Classroom management skills necessary.
- Reliable, self-motivated, independent, motivational
- Fun-loving and kid-loving a must.
- Some teaching background preferred, but experience w kids necessary
- Basic kitchen/ cooking and food knowledge—can explain these concepts to children.
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of, or ability to quickly learn basic computer programs (example, Google Docs)
- Social media skills a plus
- Organized with an attention to detail.
- Flexible, with ability to improvise, if needed.
- Candidate may be in the process of completing a Bachelor’s Degree, Culinary Degree, or having completed either/ both, tho culinary degree is not necessary.
- Child CPR/ First Aid Cert a plus, or willingness to acquire.
This position is PAID: hourly, $15/hr or more
How to Apply Please click here to sign in and view application details. (https://www.goodfoodjobs.com/jobs/101465/childrens-food-educator.html)
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! No deadline to apply.