Heartwood is a learning village, community hub and retreat center located on 200 acres in the heart of the 'Emerald Triangle' in Southern Humboldt County, California.
We are entering a dynamic period of growth in 2018 as we transition from Heartwood Institute to Heartwood Mountain Sanctuary, offering expanded lodging, recreation and wellness services as well as educational and residential opportunities. We are seeking team members that will grow with us, and become productive and positive members of our community.
The Heartwood community is centered around ideals of permaculture, sustainability, wellness, and the arts. Our culinary and farm departments work together to provide organic, locally sourced meals to visitors and guests through our Main Lodge kitchen. As a member of the culinary team, you will be working with others passionate about growing good food, and providing a gourmet seed to table experience.
Our campus is located in a rural and rugged area, so a sense of adventure and self-reliance is necessary. Onsite facilities include lodging, camping, staff housing, swimming pool, spa, sauna, yoga/meditation temple, and hiking trails.
About the Position
This position will work closely with our Head Chef to prepare delicious and nutritious plant based meals in our Main Lodge Kitchen. The kitchen provides meals for visitors, overnight guests, event rentals and special events. Regular Heartwood events include a weekly Sunday Brunch, and monthly Pizza Night.
Full time, residential position. We provide on-site housing accommodations with shared kitchen and bathroom, as well as access to all Heartwood facilities (pool/spa/sauna, meditation temple, beautiful grounds for hiking and exploring).
- Assist in coordinating, cooking, and serving for events
- Maintain cleanliness/organization of kitchen and food supplies
- Become familiar with and build upon Heartwood's culinary traditions
- Work with the head chef to develop recipes maximizing use of seasonal produce grown on campus and using local organic sources whenever possible
- Assist with development and implementation of kitchen schedules, par lists, prep lists, order guides, and opening/closing procedures
- Maintain highest professional food quality standards
- Adhere to all California Food Codes and Humboldt County Health Department regulations
- Establish and maintain a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment
- Attend staff, management, and residential community meetings as needed
This is a plant-based kitchen, so a deep knowledge, love, and appreciation of vegetables is required, as well as:
- The ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- 1-3 years in Culinary related fields
- A passion and excitement for creating nutritious food
- Excellent knife skills
- Experience in farming, gardening or harvesting a plus!
Please send letter of interest, resume and 2 personal references to email@example.com. Including a photo helps us get to know you better, but is not required. Thank you!