About Zenger Farm
Zenger Farm is a 501(c)3 nonprofit working urban farm in Portland, OR that models, promotes, and educates about sustainable food systems, environmental stewardship, community development, and access to good food for all. We are guided by a vision of a healthy, resilient community, where the wellbeing and prosperity of children and adults, regardless of race, geography or socio-economic status, is enhanced through access to affordable, plentiful and nourishing foods. We believe nourishment is a basic human right.
We understand that root causes of inequitable food access – racism, poverty and oppression – must be addressed in order to create a more just food system for all. We believe that the way we do things matters, and that equitable and inclusive processes are critical for just outcomes.zengerfarm.org
We encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ people, religious minorities, recent immigrants, differently able and applicants from different generational, economic and educational backgrounds to apply.
About the Position
The Community Engagement & Food Access Manager develops and deepens partnerships with neighborhood based and community of color-led organizations to support intersecting community needs related to food access. The position works closely with the other Community Engagement Co-Manager and Community Engagement team to support participatory, community-led program development and delivery. Current programming is centered around utilizing community kitchens, classrooms and gardens (at the farm and partner locations), to share food, knowledge and resources with one another, to strengthen community connectedness and capacity, and to amplifying the voices of those most impacted by injustice, with the goal of becoming a better nourished, healthier and more just community.
- Foster, build, and strengthen strategic partnerships with neighborhood based and culturally specific groups to meet shared goals and community needs
- Coordinate Community Dinners and other events at the farm to engage our neighbors and people experiencing food insecurity in order to build community with one another and strengthen community capacity
- Foster opportunities for partners & program participants to provide input and participate in leadership positions at the farm
- Manage Community Chef program, including recruiting and working with community member chefs from various backgrounds (see https://zengerfarm.org/community-chefs)
- Work closely with Community Engagement team to develop and deliver Community Kitchen programming through a popular education or community-directed approach
- Supporting grant writing, tracking, and reporting and fundraising events
- Participate in regular staff meetings and trainings
- A commitment to and passion for Zenger Farm’s mission and social justice
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Public Health, Community Development or related field OR any combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for successfully performing the responsibilities of the position
Demonstrated Experience and/or Education in:
- The ability to perform listed job responsibilities
- Program management including: collaboratively leading teams; program planning, delivery, and evaluation; budget planning and tracking; staff and volunteer development
- Working collaboratively with individuals of differing backgrounds including diverse language skills, cultures and levels of formal education
- Understanding and undoing complex systems of inequity and oppression, both intentional and unintentional, and its impact on individuals and communities
- Community organizing techniques that promote social justice
- Community health promotion and addressing social determinants of health
- Popular education or similar style of facilitation and community engagement
- Effectively facilitating and leading group decision making, goal setting, planning, project implementation and evaluation
- Excellent communication skills and comfort working with both children and adults
- Comfort with MS Office products
- Ability to work in a farm and kitchen setting, including lifting 30lbs
- Given the nature of the work, multilingual (Spanish, Russian, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Somali, or Nepalese) candidates preferred
This is a full-time position located in Portland, OR. Salary for the position will be $41,000-$45,000 annually, depending on experience. Benefits include excellent medical and dental insurance, generous PTO, plus paid holidays, and a retirement matching program.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit a complete application by email to email@example.com with “Community Engagement Manger” in the email title, or mail: Zenger Farm, Attn: Application, 11741 SE Foster Rd. Portland, OR 97266. The priority deadline to submit applications is 5:00pm on Monday, December 4th.
Application in word doc: https://zengerfarm.org/community-engagement-food-access-manager-position-description-3/
Application in pdf: https://zengerfarm.org/community-engagement-food-access-manager-position-description-5/