About Beach Plum Farm
We are a 62 acre sustainable farm located in Cape May, NJ. We grow annual and perennial crops, flowers, herbs, and some fruit. We currently have 15 acres for vegetable production and have plenty of land for expansion. Our farm was started in 2007 in order to grow vegetables for the hotel guests that stay in town. We now grow exclusively for 4 restaurants, plus our own kitchen and cafe. In addition to the 15 acres, we have a 32 bed kitchen garden where we experiment with new varieties or tender heirlooms. We work closely with the chefs to bring the freshest produce to the table. Our partner restaurants are less than 2. The position is for vegetable production only but we do raise our own animals and bees as well. Some crossover is likely but will be limited. More about Beach Plum: https://beachplumfarmcapemay.com/
About the Position
Responsible for planning, coordinating, and directing the operation of vegetable production and its specialized subordinate and related units such as garden, field, fruit, parterre, growing houses, and perennial crops. Daily supervision and direction of farm staff. Development, implementation and maintenance of the quality standards for the farm to ensure optimal productivity and adherence to brand standards.
- Works with owner and general manager to develop an annual strategic plan for the vegetable production.
- Plans, develops, and directs the operations of major farming functions such as herbs, fruit, flowers, perennial and seasonal crops and greenhouse.
- Coordinates and makes recommendations for improvements, land preparation, irrigation, fertilizing, planting crops, cultivation, and harvesting.
- Determines soil use and rotation of crops.
- Requisitions equipment and materials; approves work schedules.
- Identifies staff development and training needs and ensures that training is obtained.
- Works with Human Resources team to develop and grow internship programs.
- Ensures proper labor relations and conditions of employment are maintained.
- Maintains records, prepares reports, and composes correspondence relative to work.
- Maintains open communication with owner, general manager, Chefs, and Accounting team.
- Performs related work as required.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques of practical farm management.
- Ability to keep records of time, production and costs, and to make reports and recommendations for improvement in methods and equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of soils, crops, and farm building and equipment care and maintenance, knowledge of drip irrigation maintenance and supplies.
- Ability to manage the use of materials and equipment efficiently and economically.
- Knowledge of greenhouse maintenance and management.
- Ability to supervise subordinate staff, including but not limited to, assignment of duties, evaluating work progress and taking disciplinary action when necessary.
- Ability to multi-task and lead by example.
- Most work tasks are performed outdoors. Must be able to work outside for long hours in the peak of summer heat and winter cold performing various tasks including physical labor.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds regularly.
- Must be knowledgeable and able to maintain all safety and health regulations.
- High school or equivalent education required.
- Minimum five years agricultural experience involving farm planning, methods, and production; and experience in supervisory farm work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience is required. Experience with sustainable or organic farming is desired.
- All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Beach Plum Farm standards. Minimum uniform standards met and enforced.
Salary, Benefits, 401k, cell phone
Housing may be available to the right candidate
Please email questions and/or cover letter and resume to Christina Albert firstname.lastname@example.org