About the Position
The Communication Director will be responsible for developing and leading the Food Solutions New England (FSNE) network’s communications strategy. In addition to guiding the network’s communication strategy, the Communication Director will be responsible for content development and management of FSNE’s websites, social media sites (Facebook and Twitter), newsletters, campaigns, storytelling, and media relations. The position is based at the Sustainability Institute at UNH which serves as the backbone, or coordinating entity, for the FSNE network. The Communication Director will work with FSNE to grow and strengthen the network. The Communication Director will also be responsible for coordinating communications partnerships with organizations across the network, as well as with the UNH Sustainability Institute and UNHCommunication and Public Affairs (CPA). In addition to possessing a well-rounded set of communications skills, the Director is expected to bring proven communications expertise in one or more areas (e.g., social media, graphic design, storytelling, videography, photography, etc.) that will complement and advance existing communications capabilities of FSNE and the Sustainability Institute. This is a highly collaborative position that requires being in conversation with diverse stakeholders in a co-creative way.
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan and strategy for Food Solutions New England that builds on existing strengths supports FSNE’s key initiatives, and provides for robust network evaluation. Participate in FSNEworking team meetings and convenings. Help lead FSNE project teams and subcommittees.
- Lead and contribute to the conceptualization, preparation, and evaluation of publications, marketing materials (films, reports, position papers, articles, media releases, fact sheets, brochures, posters, etc.), engagement, and campaigns for diverse audiences including policymakers, educators, food system advocates and organizers, the media, and the general public
- Develop, integrate, and grow FSNE’s web, social media, and email communications and marketing programs to be most effective and engaging. Leverage relationships with partner organizations, businesses, and other entities to increase visibility. Identify strategic opportunities for media coverage of FSNE initiatives and capitalize on those opportunities. Coordinate FSNE interviews, sponsorships, presentations, and media opportunities. Identify and maintain contact lists for national and local media.
- Manage and promote the FSNE brand, both internally and externally. Ensure that the network presents a clear and consistent voice across all program activities. Ensure that the brand fully coordinates and complies with the Sustainability Institute and UNH brands, policies, and procedures. Develop and maintain systems for network partners to communicate and share information.
- Provide regular reports on communications activity. Other duties as assigned.
- Five years related experience in strategic communications development and outreach, including proven ability to craft and implement effective communications serving broad and diverse audiences.
- Knowledge and experience of values-based approaches to communication including underlying interpretive frames is ideal.
- Exceptional writing, editing, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Solid understanding of and experience with a range of communications, public relations, and marketing, including social media and traditional media, website content management systems, and social media monitoring and analytics tools.
- Highly collaborative team player who demonstrates a positive attitude and sense of humor.
- Creative and entrepreneurial with a demonstrated ability to build a communications strategy from the ground up.
- Quick learner, detail-oriented, self-starter who can work independently and organize many competing priorities to meet deadlines.
- High tolerance for ambiguity.
- Cultural competency, with an appreciation for and an ability to relate to a variety of communication styles and to ensure that communication is accessible to people from diverse backgrounds.
- Must have the ability to travel throughout New England on a regular basis, including for overnight meetings and events.
- Bacehlor's Degree
- 5-7 years of experience
- Master’s degree.
- Knowledge of New England’s food system, sectors, networks, and initiatives.
- Experience with framing and narrative development.
- Experience in documentary production, digital storytelling, creative campaigns, and/or creative nonfiction writing or journalism.
- Solid experience in traditional media, including writing op-eds, letters to the editor, fact sheets, and other materials. Group facilitation experience.
Salary is complemented by a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, retirement, tuition, and paid time off.
More info: https://jobs.usnh.edu/postings/28366
- Cover Letter
- (3) Professional References Contact Info