About the Position
The Farmer is responsible for overseeing all aspects of production, developing and executing the long-term farming strategy, providing organic expertise, and assisting in education at the farm. The Farmer will provide strategic leadership for the Field Supervisor and seasonal farm staff and maintain a safe, clean, and organized environment for staff and customers. The Farmer will be a steward to the land and facilities by fostering a productive organic farm that nurtures the surrounding ecosystem and the people who work at and visit the site. The Farm Manager works with the Site Director on education and outreach as well as identifying and implementing opportunities to serve the organic community on a local, regional, and national level.
This is a full-time, year-round position offering a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Weekend & extended hours required during growing season. This position reports to the Home Farm Site Director and has limited travel.
Farm Production (80%)
- Responsible for farm operations including yield, production schedules, equipment, and employee supervision.
- Develop and lead execution of long-term strategy for farming operations
- Recruit, hire, and directly manage seasonal field staff
- Perform basic maintenance and improvements on farm infrastructure, facilities, and equipment
- Ensure necessary supplies and parts are available for farm production and equipment repair
- Operate equipment including berry harvester, tractors, and tractor implements
- Manage and oversee all irrigation needs and repairs
- Maintain a safe, clean, and well organized work environment for staff and customers
- Ensure compliance with safety regulations and actively lead in the Farm’s safety program
- Assist field crew in planting, weeding, pruning, and harvesting crops and fill in as needed
- Support overall operations as a member of the farm leadership team through active participation in meetings, progress reports, collaboration, and proactive communication with the team.
- Contribute to the farm business planning by providing expertise on farm enterprises including cropping systems, varieties, volumes, inputs, and capital investments
- Facilitate a respectful, communicative, and team-oriented work environment
- Work with the farm leadership team to ensure farm goals are met
- Responsible for maintaining organic integrity on the farm.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations (including, but not limited to, Good Agricultural Practices, Washington State Department of Agriculture, and USDA National Organic Program)
- Maintain records related to production and compliance with organic certification and food safety regulations
- Holistically manage soil fertility (cover cropping, crop rotation, and compost program), nutrient cycling, promote biodiversity, and weed, pest, and disease management
- Maintain technical expertise in organic and regenerative farming practices and issues by keeping up with the latest scientific research and attending relevant farm conferences
- Ensure food quality and food safety standards of farm products.
- Oversee and manage food safety practices outlined in Good Agricultural Practices program
- Ensure produce is grown, harvested, and stored for excellent taste and high-quality product
Research, Interpretation, Education, and Outreach (20%)
- In partnership with the General Mills’ agronomy team, develop relationships with Universities, seed companies, and others to partner in research and field trials
- Work with General Mills’ agronomy, sourcing, and branding to provide perspective and ideas on organic farming practices, supporting farmers, and driving positive change at scale
- Work with the Site Director to provide tours and organic farming education to visitors and brand customers
- Assist with the development of organic education resources for staff and visitors
- Contribute content to social media, website, and blog
- Support and represent organic farming with industry and partners in the organic community
- Other duties as assigned
- At least two years of farm management level experience required. Conversational Spanish is required.Demonstrated experience with operating and maintaining machinery.
- Experience in organic and regenerative agricultural practices with a working knowledge of plant health, fertility management, pest and disease management, weed suppression, and greenhouse management.
- Knowledge of current organic research and emerging trends in organic farming systems.
- Creative thinker and problem solver with the ability to innovate.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness to participate in videos and social media to promote the farm, organic agriculture, and the brand.
- Must be able to comfortably lift 50lbs and perform work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with emphasis in organic or sustainable agriculture desired.
- Passion and enthusiasm for organic, regenerative farming and stewardship of natural resources
- Interest in working within a large company to drive positive change at scale
- Eagerness to work and live within a rural and remote community
- Energizes & develops people
- Delivers outstanding results
- Willingness to be flexible and adapt to changing job requirements and priorities
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and under time constraints
- Team player with positive attitude
- Ability to work with multiple, diverse stakeholders
This is a full-time, year-round position. A competitive salary starts at $50,000. We offer a generous benefits package which includes Medical, Dental and Vision coverage, 15 days Paid Vacation, 11 Paid Holidays, and a generous 401K match. Annual raise and bonus based on personal and organizational performance.