About Sienna Ranch
Sienna Ranch connects youth to nature through compelling outdoor experiences in order to foster a compassionate and environmentally aware future. We provide farm education and immersive nature programming to youth PreK-9th grade. Our program offerings also include woodshop, natural building, archery, horseback riding, gardening, science, pottery, survival skills, homesteading skills, naturalist skills and much more. Sienna Ranch is situated on a 21-acre family-owned ranch in Lafayette, CA.
About the Position
The Sienna Ranch Business Manager is responsible for creatively managing logistical aspects of day-to-day programming while simultaneously promoting Sienna Ranch camps, classes and special events. The Business Manager is a central and integral administrative role in the daily operations of Sienna Ranch, impacting the fluidity and success of nearly every aspect of Sienna Ranch’s programming.
This position primarily supports parent/guardians, students and staff while maintaining close relationships with our affiliated charter schools, our bookkeeper, health/dental insurance providers as well as our on-site neighbors, ILM Tree. This position provides timely, positive and meaningful responses to staff and customer needs through phone communication, email, Google Calendar, email newsletters and in person meetings. The Business Manager currently curates relationships with local non-profits through which Sienna Ranch awards the Emilie Inman Memorial Scholarship to offer programming at no cost to children who may not otherwise be able to attend, and Sienna Ranch strongly desires for the next Business Manager to grow this program and help create stronger community connections to underrepresented populations in outdoor and environmental education. This position reports to the Ranch Director.
This position is non-exempt, permanent, full-time and year-round. The schedule is Monday-Friday, 35-40 hours per week.
- Provide timely program support to instructors and students, administering basic first aid if needed, providing behavioral support, sharing communication between parent/guardians and staff and supervising late pickups.
- Provide timely program support to current and prospective families during designated office hours. Duties may include but are not limited to answering phone calls, emails and in-person questions about classes/camps/events.
- Test, promote and launch online registration links for school year classes, summer/holiday break camps and other special events using Active.com Camp and Class Manager software.
- Manage all aspects of student registration information and class rosters ensuring integrity of student demographics, health and scheduling.
- Record and deposit cash, check, credit card and charter school payments for Sienna Ranch programming using provided registration software. Collect overdue payments as needed.
- Invoice affiliated charter schools quarterly during the school year for services provided.
- Provide site tours by appointment in all weather to interested customers during office hours.
- Update website, voicemail message, Google Calendar, wait lists and registration software as needed.
- Create and circulate seasonal communication to families about registration deadlines, program/schedule details by email and newsletter.
- Serve as health and dental insurance administrator for full-time staff.
- Manage Business Manager budget including Ranch Store, Office Supplies, Marketing, etc.
- Oversee business development projects including managing partnerships with community organizations to provide scholarships to students, and possibly helping to establish a non-profit arm
- Work with a team to develop new programs
- Bachelor’s degree in education, business administration or related field and two (2) years experience leading or managing an educational program.
- At least 1 year experience working with children in an outdoor setting, additional outdoor education, community education, homeschool education or summer camp experience highly valued
- A sincere passion for connecting children to nature and strong belief in unstructured nature exploration and animal interaction as a key element of nature connection
- Ability to patiently and positively communicate with customers, staff, vendors and volunteers from a wide variety of backgrounds, ages and experiences verbally, non-verbally and in writing
- Confidence and efficacy facilitating student conflicts using positive discipline techniques, restorative justice experience strongly valued
- Punctuality, dependability, flexibility, professional appearance
- Quality customer service skills
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality
- Strong organizational skills, enthusiasm for detail-oriented tasks and proven success completing projects with minimal supervision while holding yourself accountable to a high level of professionalism
- Articulate, compassionate and solution-oriented problem solver
- Ability to walk on uneven and sometimes slippery terrain, ability to lift up to 25lbs for short distances (printer paper/office supplies)
- Ability to confidently operate computer, scanner, printer, copier, phone, laminator, Google Suite software, Facebook and Instagram. Eye for graphic/website design highly valued
- Able to maintain clean, organized workspaces and effectively prioritize tasks
- Confidence overseeing online registration implementation with third-party software provider, ability to think critically about opportunities to improve the user experience during online registration
- Committed to being an active part of a solution-oriented, self-motivated, cooperative, professional community atmosphere
- Able to check and respond to email communications within 24 business hours
- Available and willing to be the first call on our emergency call list to respond to student/participant emergencies during office hours.
- Current First Aid and CPR for Adult and Child certifications, and clear TB test results (or ability to acquire before first day or work), and ability to pass FBI/DOJ background check for working with children
- Current driver’s license by first day of work
- Ability to flex vacation time around key ranch programming dates (on site presence required during Summer Camp and the first week of each Session)
- Compensation is based on experience
- Kaiser HMO Medical and United Health Care Dental HMO Coverage after 3 months of employment
- 401(k) available after one year of employment
Email cover letter, resume and prepare THREE professional references one of which must be your most recent supervisor. Please also briefly answer the application questions below. Send your application packet to Amy Roth at email@example.com. Applications accepted immediately with the goal of an April 1st, 2018 start date.
Please reflect on and respond to the following questions:
1. How did you hear about this position?
2. What motivates you most to work at Sienna Ranch?
3. Tell us about a time that you were up against a deadline and got pulled away by an unexpected, time-sensitive need. How did you respond?
4. Please list at least one question you have for us about Sienna Ranch, or the Business Manager position
Sienna Ranch is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic team committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We strongly encourage applications from people of color and other groups traditionally underrepresented in outdoor education. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.