Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC) is taking applications for an individual contractor to work on several Community Food Project programs. Training begins mid-September 2018. We seek to hire from a diverse pool of applicants who reflect the diversity of thought, heritage, and experience we celebrate in the neighborhood of Dayton’s Bluff in East Saint Paul. An ideal candidate will have business and/or kitchen management experience and direct program experience with diverse populations. There are two areas of focus for this unique opportunity:
1. Kitchen Management services for the commercial incubator kitchen located in Saint Paul, Minnesota:
- Ensure the kitchen environment is maintained in accordance with Minnesota Department of Health and/or Minnesota Department of Agriculture rules and regulations. Carry out basic building maintenance (shoveling, cleaning, mowing, weeding, organizing) on a regular basis to ensure these Good Manufacturing Practices are met.
- Maintain records for kitchen operations, schedule and troubleshoot appropriate maintenance and repair procedures, and order supplies based on approval of expenditures by a representative of LEDC.
- Coordinate new tenant recruitment and evaluation. Assist potential business entrepreneurs in navigating appropriate business licenses, food safety requirements, and in communicating with their Health or Agriculture inspectors.
- Orient new tenants on, update, and enforce kitchen policies and procedures.
- Oversee leases of tenants, scheduling of tenant use of the kitchen, monthly invoices and tenant payments including rent, disciplinary charges, and other fees.
- Manage Quickbooks for accounts payable and receivable. Work with LEDC staff or contractors for monthly bill review and financial planning. Some minimal assistance to LEDC accountants for reconciliation or auditing may be required throughout the year.
- Communicate on a regular basis with LEDC staff to provide tenant summaries and their business assistance needs.
- Other maintenance or administrative duties that lead to the success of the Kitchen as needed.
2. Value-added project implementation to provide additional markets for immigrant farmers that are clients of LEDC or allied organizations:
- Update 2017 data used to evaluate comparative products currently on the market to provide information regarding competition and niche opportunities. Collect data for new products using similar evaluative methods.
- Identify best recipes to test based on cost and availability of local produce with other LEDC contractors and staff.
- Update 2017 information to identify equipment, supplies and time necessary for production.
- Carry out small batch product test runs based on input from LEDC partners and contractors in accordance with Minnesota Department of Agriculture requirements to identify real costs of production and yields.
- Implement other tasks identified by LEDC staff guiding this feasibility and business planning process.
Ideal Experience & Abilities:
- Minimum of 2 years combined restaurant, food production and food safety training OR farmers market management and general experience with small food business or small farm business owners.
- Working knowledge of Office Suite, G Suite, Quickbooks and Squarespace (minimum 2 years experience).
- Record of successfully carrying out a direct service community program with diverse ethnic community backgrounds including training and/or project management (minimum 1 year).
- Knowledge of commercial kitchen equipment operation and general building maintenance (strongly preferred).
- Resourcefulness to troubleshoot challenges of a busy shared space with multiple stakeholders (strongly preferred).
- Connection to the neighborhood of Dayton’s Bluff and the East Side of Saint Paul (preferred).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lift 60+ lbs easily, stand for long periods of time, and carry out cleaning duties on a regular basis.
Hours & Compensation:
This is an independent contractor, grant-funded position that allows for a flexible schedule. Evening and weekends can be expected occasionally based on needs of the Kitchen. LEDC will provide equipment, and tools necessary to perform the contractual services. This position allows for the contractor to perform services for other organizations during the contracted term provided services and duties of this position are completed on tim and to the satisfaction of LEDC staff.
All interested candidates for any position can email or mail a letter summarizing why their experiences (work, volunteer, or a combination) qualify them for the position, and a resume to: Kitchen Manager: Kitchen On The Bluff. email@example.com or 705 E 3rd Street - Saint Paul, MN 55106