This is a part-time position supporting data collection for a research study
investigating student lunchroom eating habits in Boston-area public schools.
Data collection will occur Monday-Friday from approximately 9am-4pm for 6-8
weeks beginning in early October. If interested and available, qualified
applicants will be eligible to join a second round of data collection
beginning in late Spring 2019.
Research assistants are primarily responsible for supporting the collection of
student plate waste data in a public school setting. Duties primarily consist
of collecting and accurately recording the weights of school lunch components
remaining on students’ trays at the end of the lunch period. This is a great
opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students studying nutrition, public
health, or education to gain field experience in primary data collection.
- Arrive punctually at school study sites on assigned days. All study
sites are proximal to public transportation and carpooling options may also be
available for team members
- Perform daily set-up and breakdown of data collection sites, including
labeling lunch trays, and assisting with clean-up after data collection.
- Collect and store lunch trays from 3rd-8th grade students at the end
of each lunch period for measurement
- Accurately weigh and record lunch meal components in a spreadsheet on
a laptop computer
- Complete other study-related tasks as requested
- High School diploma (or equivalent) required, bachelor’s degree
- Availability during weekday work hours (9am-5pm) from October 1, 2018 - November 20, 2018. Candidates are not required to work all days per week,
but must be available for the entire shift on days they select. Preference will be given to candidates with greater availability / flexibility
- Ability to stand for 4-6 hours and work in a loud, fast-paced environment (school cafeteria).
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and ability to type 35-50 words per minute.
- Punctuality, attention to detail, and a strong commitment to advancing knowledge through rigorous data collection.
- Positive attitude, flexibility, and ability to work well with others.
- Must pass criminal background check.
- $15 per hour. This is a temporary position and does not include healthcare or other benefits.
- Course credit, as relevant and arranged with candidate’s academic institution.
To Apply: Interested candidates should email Scott Richardson at email@example.com with the subject line “Boston-area plate waste RA inquiry”. Please include your expected weekday availability for all dates between Oct 1 and Nov 20.