NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Operations Manager
A little about FoodChain: Founded in 2011, FoodChain provides education and demonstration of sustainable food systems. Our program goals are to improve access to fresh food, educate and demonstrate innovative growing techniques, offer cooking classes focused on health and affordability, increase local food distribution, and make a difference through job training and living wage employment. As an innovative nonprofit, we’ve found success by identify niches currently underserved in local food systems, while also using novel approaches, combining assets and partnerships in a way that benefits many, reducing waste, and maximizing human interaction with fresh food.
FoodChain is seeking an enthusiastic Operations Manager to head our Indoor Aquaponics Farm. This person will be responsible for all of FoodChain’s on-site aquaponics production, including starting a brand new marine shrimp system. They will report directly to the Executive Director and will work closely with our Education team as well as the Kitchen Team. FoodChain staff are hard working, passionate, and food loving.
The Farm Operations Manager must be committed to FoodChain’s mission to provide education and demonstration of sustainable indoor food production as a means of bringing people together around food. As a key spokesperson for FoodChain, this role is a reflection of FoodChain’s community focus and will need to be comfortable operating in a “working classroom.”
As part of the small team of FoodChain staff, the Farm Operations Manager will need to maintain a strong network of partners and friends, by identifying new partners and friends as well as making existing partners feel engaged and excited. FoodChain’s success depends on the masses, not the few.
The Farm Operations Manager assures the following:
- The Farm space and equipment is functional, clean, well-maintained, and up to code to ensure.
- Educational Tours and Workshops are planned, recruited for, and conducted in line with FoodChain’s mission.
- Sales of farm products are coordinated and accounted for with local buyers through regular, professional communication.
- Farmed goods are harvested, recorded, packaged, and distributed in a timely, efficient manner.
- Volunteers and interns are trained and incorporated to extend the educational operations of the farm along with its efficient operation.
- Experience in aquaponics, aquaculture, and/or horticulture of some kind
- Good collaborator and excellent self-manager
- High priority commitment to developing others and developing oneself
- Good interpersonal skills and a consistent, solution-oriented attitude
- Ability to operate effectively in a demanding, public, constantly evolving team environment that requires high energy and flexibility
- Good verbal and written English communication skills
- Independent problem-solver and multi-tasker.
- Ability to apply best practices to electronic record-keeping, process tracking, and documentation to communicate results and issues easily and effectively
- Able to use small power tools, basic design and construction, ability to lift 50 lbs, comfortable with manual labor.
- Research skills to stay abreast of best practices and potential additions to the farm.
This is a full-time, salaried position. As the lead manager of the Farm, this person will be the main point person for emergencies, in case of problems at the farm. Salary range from $30,000 - $33,000 depending on experience/qualifications.
Please send resume, cover letter, and a list of 3 references to email@example.com. Start date expected by early July.
About the job
|Date||15 May 2019|