NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Farm to School Network Coordinator
About Seven Generations Ahead:
Founded in 2001, Seven Generations Ahead (SGA) is in its 18th year of promoting ecologically sustainable and healthy communities. SGA's name is borrowed from the Native American principle which states, "In every deliberation, we must consider the impact on the seventh generation." SGA's goal is to support local government, community and private sector leaders in making the changes they need to create healthy and sustainable communities. SGA's work covers energy efficiency and renewable energy; transportation; community development; waste reduction; water conservation; green business development; local, sustainable food; open space and ecosystem enhancement; and education.
Seven Generations Ahead manages the Illinois Farm to School Network (IFSN), which connects practitioners, provides training and resources, and advocates for all farm to school activities: sourcing local food for child nutrition programs, food & nutrition education, and hands-on gardening.
IFSN manages two key local food promotion programs, the Illinois Great Apple Crunch and Illinois Harvest of the Month, which encourage and support more educational institutions to purchase food from local producers. In addition, IFSN trains educators in implementing Fresh from the Farm, food and garden-based curricula for Grades 1-8.
As a Core Partner for the National Farm to School Network (NFSN), the Illinois Farm to School Network supports farm to school and farm to early care and education efforts in Illinois while serving as a liaison for information, resources, needs and opportunities with NFSN.
Seven Generations Ahead (SGA) has implemented Fresh from the Farm – its comprehensive farm to school program - since 2004, and has served as the Illinois Core Partner for the National Farm to School Network since 2015. SGA is seeking to hire a full-time Illinois Farm to School Network Coordinator to build upon SGA’s body of farm to school work and work collaboratively across the state to advance farm to school goals. Working closely with SGA’s Farm to School Program Manager, the position will include developing and facilitating the Illinois Farm to School Network, advancing relevant statewide policies, building involvement from state agencies and a diverse array of farm to school stakeholders, and driving increased farm to school participation among schools, early childhood education centers, and other child nutrition programs – with an emphasis on those most in need - across Illinois.
- Build a robust IFSN with a strong, engaged Advisory Group and regional partnerships statewide.
- Increase reach and depth of IFSN membership, especially educators, school foodservice staff, and farmers.
- Gather, develop, and disseminate farm to school resources to schools, day care centers, and other facilities serving meals to children across Illinois.
- Serve as the SGA liaison to the National Farm to School Network, and participate in webinars and monthly calls, share data, and attend NFSN’s Annual Meeting.
- Maintain IFSN’s website and ensure that content remains relevant and user-friendly.
- Ensure that farm to school initiatives are advancing racial & social equity.
- Track and evaluate farm to school participation in Illinois.
- Plan and convene IFSN trainings, workshops, tabling activities, and other meetings.
- Work toward institutionalizing farm to school/institution within Illinois state agencies.
- Provide one-on-one technical assistance to farm to school stakeholders and support SGA’s grant funded farm to school projects.
- Identify funding sources for the IFSN, and support grant writing and funding acquisition.
- Work in collaboration with SGA Farm to School Program Manager and maintain open communication between IFSN and other SGA program areas.
- Support SGA organizational events as needed.
- Undergraduate degree
- 5+ years experience in farm to school/related field and/or network development and facilitation
- Solid content knowledge related to local, healthy and sustainable food procurement and education
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Grant writing experience and skills
- Training development and implementation skills
- Excellent relationship building and maintenance skills
- Strong computer and information management skills; familiarity with Google Drive, WordPress, and Adobe Suite is preferred
- Relationships and familiarity with Illinois Farm to School Network a plus.
$45,000 for 40 hours per week of work. $3,500 medical insurance stipend. Personal days and vacation days at first-year employee level, and all SGA holidays. Pre-tax deductions on medical insurance and retirement contributions.
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 8, 2019. Include 2 professional references with contact information.
About the job
|Location||Oak Park, Illinois|
|Date||10 February 2019|