Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Standards Manager
Fair Trade USA has launched an exciting new initiative to expand the fair trade model to apply to dairies in the United States. This position will play a critical role in building and piloting Fair Trade USA’s dairy program and determining how it can best provide value to program participants and the supply chains. Fair Trade USA's Standards team defines program requirements based on Fair Trade principles and impact goals. We seek a detail oriented and dynamic Standards Manager to conduct and project manage the adaptation of Fair Trade USA Standards and associated policies and implementation guidance to apply to the dairy sector.
The Manager writes clear, unambiguous standards and associated documents in line with the objectives of Fair Trade, facilitates stakeholder outreach processes and consultations on standard content, and ensures balanced decision making in determining the final standard and standard interpretations. The Manager also ensures Standards are understood by internal and external stakeholders and develops training materials and guidance documents. Acting as the subject matter expert, the supports other staff in certification, producer services, and business development in ensuring proper interpretation, implementation, and communication of standard requirements as they apply to dairies. They will be responsible for research projects on pressing issues, and for engaging with key dairy sector initiatives, and for other activities as needed.
This new position will focus heavily on dairies for the first year, as the dairy program is built and operationalized. Over time the position will evolve and will likely incorporate Standards team responsibilities related to the broader agricultural and trade programs as well as project management of other cross-organizational innovations. The ideal candidate will be open to collaboratively evolving the role over time.
We are open to considering a remote employee for this position.
Ensure Standards revisions are impactful, inclusive, credible, and aligned to the objectives of Fair Trade:
- Project manage the expansion and adaptation of the Agricultural Production Standard and associated policies for applicability in the dairy sector in the United States.
- Write clear and auditable Standards and policies.
- Identify and engage with stakeholders to enrich the standard writing process, including liaising with technical consultants and experts.
- Design and facilitate public consultations on draft standards using a variety of participation methods.
- Track, interpret and summarize feedback on Fair Trade USA Standards and associated documents. Lead process to adapt program requirements based on feedback, facilitating challenging and technical conversations with internal and external stakeholders.
- Create clear and simple training materials for education of field staff, auditors, and producers on updated Standards requirements.
- Collaborate with team members on the review and update of Standards related to trade, apparel and home goods, and seafood, ensuring harmonization of processes and requirements across programs.
Ensure Fair Trade Standards are accurately interpreted and implemented:
- Develop policies, tools and guidance to accompany Standards to facilitate interpretation and implementation (with emphasis on dairies).
- Advise internal and external stakeholders on clarification and interpretation questions.
- Facilitate alignment of standards, certification, and producer support services within Fair Trade USA.
- Contribute to internal and external trainings and communication on standards, and development of producer support tools.
- Foster cross-departmental collaboration and relationships.
- Identify and track challenges and ongoing areas for improvement across Standards.
Contribute to the on-going growth, evolution and innovation of the Agriculture Program:
- Stay up-to-date with and participate in relevant external dairy initiatives, ensuring Fair Trade USA is an active player in the sector and recommending ways to continue to ensure our programs add value.
- Collaborate with the Impact team to use learnings from monitoring and evaluation to inform program innovation, with focus on dairies.
- Conduct research and other activities as necessary for growth and innovations in the agricultural program, including contributions to and/or project management of cross-cutting projects.
- Four to six years of experience working in the U.S. agricultural arena on stakeholder engagement, technical writing, or social compliance, preferably working with small producers and/or farmworkers.
- Knowledge of and experience related to dairying and dairy supply chains required.
- Demonstrated strength managing processes. Detail-oriented, logical, systematic, methodical, and highly organized.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, including technical writing as well as translation of complex data for communication to varying audiences in a simple and meaningful way.
- Ability to identify, review and analyze information from a wide range of internal and external sources and pull out key findings and conclusions from complex sets of sometimes disparate feedback.
- Ability to work in a flexible, yet fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment, able to meet deadlines and share progress regularly.
- Positive outlook, diplomatic and adept at conflict resolution, with ability to work well with all levels of staff and a broad range of stakeholders and partners.
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills and capacity for communicating and collaborating respectfully and effectively with non-native English speakers.
- Spanish language ability highly desired.
- A passion for Fair Trade USA’s mission, vision, and accomplishments.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related field such as social responsibility, supply chain management, or international development.
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office applications including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and internet applications.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to the attention of Victoria Solbert, Head of Standards and Implementation Resources.
About the job
|Date||11 September 2019|