NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Community Engagement Director
About Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York:
The Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York (NOFA-NY) is the oldest and largest organization in New York devoted to organic and sustainable farming and gardening. We are an organization of farmers, gardeners, and consumers creating a sustainable regional food system, which is ecologically sound and economically viable. Through demonstration and education, we promote land stewardship, organic food production, and local marketing. We brings consumer and farmer closer together to make high quality food available to all people. We are also the largest organic certifier in New York State. NOFA-NY is currently seeking a full time Community Engagement Director.
The Community Engagement Director provides leadership for NOFA-NY’s membership and fundraising efforts by providing overall design and successful implementation of comprehensive and coordinated funding initiatives. This position focuses on individual/major donors through direct mail, email, campaigns, and personal solicitations aimed at increasing dollars raised, average gift size, and donor participation rates. Additionally, this position drives corporate sponsorship activities, and provides support to private foundation proposals and grants. Working closely with the Communications Coordinator, ensure all aspects of the organizations work are clearly represented in web, email marketing, social media, print publications, outreach, and event registration. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Community Engagement Director engages supporters and community members in meaningful ways to create lasting relationships with NOFA-NY. The Community Engagement Director is part of the NOFA-NY Leadership Team, which also includes the Executive Director and Education Director.
- Leverage a strong base of membership and major donor support to ensure a robust donor pipeline
- Identify members with larger giving capacity through prospect research.
- Maintain a personal portfolio of donors and prospects who give between $100 and $1000 a year and a Director’s portfolio for those giving over $1000.
- Oversee fundraising events in collaboration with Events Coordinator, Communications coordinator and Executive Director.
- Assist with development, training, and tracking of Board related fundraising initiatives.
- Record relevant correspondence with prospects and donors in Salesforce database; train others to do so.
- Assist with relationship management and proposal development for corporate and foundation support
- Lead corporate support efforts for all major events (sponsorship, advertising and exhibiting opportunities), while building strong relationships to encourage additional business support beyond events.
- Draft, update, and review briefings, proposals, and reports.
- Develop a comprehensive Membership program:
- Develop a strategy and project plan that includes proposed annual budget recommendations, monitoring, reporting, and key benchmarks and dates.
- Conduct appropriate outreach, solicitation, stewardship, and recognition of members via direct mail and online giving that includes a calendar of proposed activity and expected return on investment.
- Ensure consistent communications and membership materials (brochures, promotional materials, appeals, online content, policy resolutions/membership meeting outreach, acknowledgements).
- Identify creative ways to engage membership community regionally assist with development of fundraising and friend-raising events.
- Steward existing members through maintenance of membership benefit package, member recognition at events, thank you phone calls, and excellent organization wide customer service.
- Work closely with Communications Coordinator to ensure branding, messaging, registration construction and outreach materials are consistent, clear and compelling.
- Oversee online Food Guide and Farm Guide maintenance including overlap of Farmer’s Pledge program and Certification data and messaging.
- Supervise Communications Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, English, Journalism, or a related communications field preferred, not required.
- 2-5 years of non-profit development experience.
- 2-5 years’ experience cultivating major donors.
- Familiarity and experience with database systems, especially Salesforce.
- Excellent written and verbal skills; strong organizational skills, attention to detail.
- High energy and enthusiasm. Ability to work well in a team and with a wide range of people, work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks at once, and adapt to changing situations.
- Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of organic and sustainable farming.
- Function with tight deadlines in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
Starting salary is $45,000/year. Benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance. Retirement plan for employee contributions. Generous vacation package.
Deadline for applications is April 1, 2019. Please send cover letter and resume to HR@nofany.org
NOFA-NY is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
About the job
|Location||Syracuse, New York|
|Date||26 February 2019|