Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Managing Director
Since 1978, Hartford Food System has been dedicated to addressing problems of food security in Hartford. Our mission is to fight hunger and improve nutrition in our community and our goal is a healthy, culturallyresponsive, just, resilient and sustainable food system that meets the needs of all community members. To help make this happen, we implement programs that improve access to nutritious and affordable food, we advocate and help build a robust and economically sound food system, and we promote responsible food policies at all levels of government. The work of HFS focuses on understanding and addressing the underlying causes of inadequate community access to healthy food. Our approach links the well-being of urban communities with sustainable agriculture, a more equitable food economy, and food justice. Our system-based perspective means that we influence a broad range of food system elements to achieve our primary goals of reducing hunger, improving health and nutrition, and encouraging a sustainable and equitable food supply. We employ the following strategies: 1) Increase access to non-emergency food outlets; 2) Deepen the connection between consumers and the sources of healthy food; 3) Build community capacity to advocate for a healthy and just food system; 4) Advance public policies to improve availability, affordability and quality of food.
The Managing Director will oversee the ongoing operations of Hartford Food System, including most program areas, administrative functions, and financial functions. The Managing Director will also have direct program delivery responsibilities for one program. A key element of the position will be the organization’s ongoing quality and process measurement and improvement. The position reports to and partners with the Hartford Food System Executive Director.
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- 1. Provides for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence, while developing a deep understanding of the HFS programs.
- 2. Oversees the day-to-day functioning of the HFS programs, staff, equipment, administrative processes, and facilities.
- 3. Directly supervises and has hands-on involvement with the Grow Hartford Youth Program.
- 4. Manages and maintains HFS policies, internal controls, procedures, and accounting standards.
- 5. Oversees the development and implementation of HFS projects and programs.
- 6. Oversees – with a high degree of personal participation – the funding processes of HFS including grant funding, contract funding, and individual donor processes. This includes the existing and new grant funding applications and grant reporting.
- 7. Develop and administer organization and project budgets, assuring organizational efficiency, appropriate resource allocation, and cash flow management.
- 8. Manages and maintains the HFS financial reporting processes, including coordination with the external auditor.
- 9. Coordinate the annual budget planning process as well as longer term budgeting.
- 10. Human resources management, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, performance appraisals, and performance management.
- 11. Participates as needed in external activities including with funders, public officials, community organizations, organizational partners, and others.
- 12. Support the Executive Director in work with the HFS board of directors.
- At least 7 to 10 years of demonstrated nonprofit program delivery and/or management experience.
- Strong demonstrated communications skills, both written and oral.
- Experience in funding management, including both grant application preparation and awards reporting. Hartford Food System Managing Director Position Description January 2020 1/23/2020 2
- Experience in project development and management
- Experience in the supervision of service delivery programs and their staff.
- Strong organization skills; ability to prioritize and manage multiple activities without compromising quality.
- Familiarity with Hartford and Capital Region a strong plus.
- Education: a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience (7-10 years of nonprofit experience in management/leadership roles.) Work style and personal attributes:
- Commitment to the mission and work of HFS.
- Relishes personal interaction, with individuals and groups.
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- Works well independently and as a team contributor.
- Understands the needs, opportunities, and challenges of a mid-size nonprofit organization.
- Flexible and reliable.
- Highest professional integrity
Send cover letter and resume electronically to: Hartford Food System Martha Page, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org Salary (exempt position) commensurate with experience.
About the job
|Date||22 January 2020|