Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Farmers Market Manager
Part-time, $17/hour position available at our Cunningham Park Farmers Market on Sundays from 7:30am-3pm located in Cunningham Park's parking lot off of Union Turnpike with additional flexible hours outside of market day for flyering and community engagement opportunities.The Farmers Market Manager oversees day-to-day operations of one of our
seasonal, outdoor farmers markets in New York City or Westchester County. The manager is Down to Earth Markets' on-site representative, working closely with
the company's office team to help insure the market's success and spearhead interactions with market vendors, shoppers and the community. The Market Manager should cultivate a sense of ownership of their Farmer’s Market through:
Supervising daily operations to assure a smooth and safe running market Coordinating with your fellow manager to create a dynamic team to cater to vendors and the community in a timely, accommodating fashion Enforcing market rules and regulations including distancing shoppers, crowd control and keeping customer conversations brief Collecting and reporting market data and success metrics Setting up and breaking down the market manager tent and market signage Selling farmers market branded items Serving as a market host to welcome and engage shoppers, promoting good relations between vendors, our company, and the shoppers as a representative of Down to Earth Markets. Assisting shoppers and vendors with use of food
access and nutrition programs (SNAP, FMNP). Engaging with shoppers and vendors to report successes, concerns and opportunities to Down to Earth Markets. Representing the farmers market at community events and through filtering distributions. Monthly conference call with other Market Managers and your Operations Manager
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Driver's license and use of one's own vehicle
- Able to walk and stand for several hours at a time.
- Able to work in all weather conditions, e.g. heat, cold, rain, sun, wind,
- Attend one annual Site Manager training
- Complete two days of shadowing in advance of the market opening dates.
Complete the required flyering shifts in advance of the markets’ opening date
and during the course of the season.
- Arrive 1 ½ hours before the market start time to lead market set up and stay
at least one hour past closing time to oversee breakdown and clean up.
- Communicate regularly with Operations and Marketing to ensure a steady flow of
information between the office and the markets.
- Read weekly Site Manager Update, Shopper Email and other occasional
- Receive and reply to last minute market updates relayed via e-mail, text or
- Respond in a timely manner to communications from the office.
- Have use of a smartphone that can install and use Microsoft Teams and ADP
- Mobile for market-day communications and to post to Facebook.
- Access to reliable transportation.
How to Apply:
Available to start immediately
Kindly submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
and answer the following question:
What would it mean to you to be a farmer's market manager?
About the job
|Location||Queens, New York|
|Date||23 April 2020|